Skezza's Flash Red OEM+ Daily Workhorse SDI (Projector Retrofit)

Skezza

Yup. You can actually do this mod for as little as the cost of the projectors really. I just went a few steps further and made something different.

Still, I'll put a How To together eventually when I get chance.

Wow what a great retro-fit! Kind of wish the GTI's had the LED's in the lamp instead of the inner lamps, looks sweet!

Thanks for the positive words. The LED's were just something I thought would really enhance the look of the car and in my opinion, they definitely do.

When I get round to it, I'll take some with an SLR :)

• 2 months later...

Little Loop is still running good. Fast closing in on 142000 miles. Still running strong. Running on diesel right now but will resume veg oil in the upcoming weeks.

Noticed the crap exhaust repair (putty) has failed already. Looks like I'm going to have to do a budget permanent repair. A How To might be in order for this one :P

Switched back to veg oil today. Not sure the little loop is too keen to go back. I think the injection pump is clicking. It was doing it before Christmas when running on veggie, went away on fresh diesel. Perhaps it's the extra force required...

• Like 1

Switched back to veg oil today. Not sure the little loop is too keen to go back. I think the injection pump is clicking. It was doing it before Christmas when running on veggie, went away on fresh diesel. Perhaps it's the extra force required...

Hmm or maybe it's cleaning something out? Technically isn't veg oil more lubricating than diesel?

Just fit a bosch pump from a 90's citroen and be done with it.

Tempting, must admit. Any reason it wouldn't work on an SDI?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So a quick update, the other day, after a long day at work, I got back to my car and noticed I was incredibly low on juice. Even lower than normal. I pottered round to the petrol station, pulled up, filled up, got back in, turned the key and oh dear, Mr SDI wouldn't start. It was turning over but it just wasn't kicking into life. I thought there must be air in the lines, so I went and started to bleed the lines.... except there was no air to bleed? How odd.

I tried bump start it but no luck. I gave up and finally called the recovery guys. After one of many times of trying to start it, I noticed that the glow plug light wasn't lighting up. Sounds like a surefire sign of the dreaded Relay 109 issue, which has been plauging old diesel VW's for ages now. I sat on the phone to my missus for a while every so often trying to turn it over with no luck. Eventually, I got really pissed off and bashed the bottom of the fuse box.... low and behold, just a flicker of the glowplug light. Car starts.

So, today, I've been replacing Relay 109..... which I have to say is a ****ing nightmare on the hands (cuts everywhere). Process is easy enough though.

Pop the fuse box cover off. Two big screws each side of the fuse box. Get them out. The fuse box sits in like little cups. Lift it out and push it down as far as you can. To make extra space, get underneath and lift the white cage thing out of it's runners and pull that down. You'll now be able to see a tiny bit of the relay box with three relays through the gap where the fuse box usually sits.... luckily one of those is Relay 109 (in the middle). Getting it out is a ****ing mare, so just remove the one to the right which is a tall bugger and then pull Relay 109 out.

I replaced mine with an aftermarket 'Kracker' part. Supposedly, Kracker make the OEM Relay's for VW so you can't go too wrong. Plus, my missus got it me for cheap because she works at ECP :)

The OEM part is now grey, instead of black. The aftermarket parts come in various colours.

The OEM part lasted 15 years though, as the date is printed on the side as 99. Not bad. Let's see if this Kracker part stands up :P

My 109 failed intermittently. Which was annoying. I got the part for under £10 on eBay and it fixed it. But as said is in the worst place ever lol.

I paid £6 (thanks to my missus discount). Yeah, it's a horrible place to get to. It looks easy when you drop the fuse box, but unless you have child hands, you aren't getting them in there without dicing them to shreds. Hence all the cuts on my hand. However, I'm glad I've changed it. Who knows how long the original might have lasted but nobody wants to be stranded miles away from home.

In hindsight, mine has been failing for a while, I just didn't realize it was relay 109, i thought it was my starter motor.

One day I'll take the OEM part apart and work out why it's failing.

I'd never heard of this relay 109 problem... Guess the one in my SDi will fail soon enough, it turns 15 next month :)

Glad yours is still going strong!

yeah it's pretty common. I don't know if it affects all diesel VW, I'm sure I read somewhere lots of the PD engines don't have it.

I think heat is what kills it. I've heard of them failing in just a few years in America so 15 is pretty good really. Best thing you can do though is buy one and keep it with your toolkit in your boot. I had all the required tools in my boot to do it so no need to get the big toolkit out.