Skezza's Flash Red OEM+ Daily Workhorse SDI (Projector Retrofit)

Skezza

• 3 weeks later...

Watch this space, projector retrofit well on it's way. You're going to see something totally unique here. Here's a little sneak preview though.

seiucRn.jpg

It's going to change a bit before the final product, but this is just a snippet, of what I've got planned ;)

Looks great, interested in the vege oil side of things ! Is it literally a case of shove vege oil in from the bottle, change the fuel filter and off you go?

Hi mate,

Effectively yes. I wouldn't change your fuel filter first though. I would run your car for a while on 100% SVO. If it's only ever run on diesel, there should be some nasty crap at the bottom of your fuel tank which veg will pick up and take straight into your fuel filter. Veggie cleans out your lines and tank, so really, you want to ruin your first fuel filter rather than your next one. I decided to start running on veg a few thousand miles before the interval for the fuel filter anyway. I actually didn't notice any drop in performance due to any extra clogging to the filter, so I reckon the filter was already pretty bad, but I noticed when installing a new one that it picked up a little bit.

You also want to be able to change your oil by yourself as well, as you should realistically half your interval give or take a few thousand miles really. I'd say anything between 5000 and 7000 miles to be safe otherwise you might suffer from overly high oil pressure due to veg not evaporating through the crankcase, however, it depends how you drive it really. If you don't know already, learn how to change the oil filter (I've done a How To) and always remember to use a reasonable quality Mann filter etc.

Don't forget to use cheap fully synthetic oil too. These SDI engines really don't need posh Mobil1 or anything like that, but synthetic is pretty important in my opinion, especially if they're being run on veg oil. I don't recommend the supermarket stuff, but CP4L sell 5 litres of 5w40 fully synthetic for about £13 and I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that it's just rebranded wholesale Shell oil. I've been running on it for a while. I used to buy Halfords 4 litres in bulk when that went on sale, which is just rebranded Comma, but they've not done it for a while so I'm sticking with CP4L for the time being.

Edited by Skezza
  • Like 2

Good luck Ry, there's plenty about :)

Hoping to finish my projector retrofit tomorrow. Going to take a few hours though, need to calibrate them etc :)

Pull your finger out :thumbsup: you have to stop driving around with no lights in :tongueout:

haha, I'm not that daft. The ones in are UV damaged. Worth jack ****. Look rubbish tbh. Perfect for this mind.

Could have sworn I saw you either Thursday or Friday morning, but I cant be sure of your reg lol it was a v reg red sdi in stoke just over the a50

that'll be me

Had a bad day. Broken top clip coming back to haunt me. Couldn't find my jb weld so used super glue. I might pop down halfords get some more tomorrow.

Annoyed I lost my jb weld though. Brand new packet too :(

Despite torrential winds that were strong enough to blow my bonnet shut (almost on my head), I had a far better day today and finally, my retrofit came to life in the form of a dummy run. I installed one side to test levelling, orientation, and the solenoid for the cut off.

So the good news is, the semi automatic levelling as controlled by the switch on the dash works just fine. There were a few murmurings that the motor in there wouldn't be strong enough but it clearly is and has absolutely no problem lifting both the projector and the bulb. The light distribution using projectors is absolutely terrific. Photos won't do it justice. Not only is the light more focussed but it is stronger and clearer. Not only that, dipped really is dipped, and beam is really beam. The light distribution is safer, and if these projectors aren't law in the next few years on new cars, then we're doing something wrong in this country.

Angling is slightly off centre, at least on my Lupo. Centre would probably suffice, but I say about 1 or 2 degrees off actually makes the pattern slightly flatter. I used a cardboard box on the floor to give me some sort of perspective. I have some photos and a video demonstrating the levelling mech. I'll try to get them up later.

Good positive vibes all down on this one. Now that I've dry run, I can go ahead and assemble this light cluster then start the other one. I imagine I'll be quicker on the other one, although I will still need to dry test the solenoid as the last thing you want is the solenoid dying while it's installed in the light. TRS recommend flicking your beam about 40 times, which I did today.

Now back inside to wrap some presents and get ready to see the mighty Stoke take on Chelsea.

http://i.imgur.com/Drywmo8h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M7Msffih.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lfL4ooEh.jpg

Some photos of my aiming the other day. I still have a picture of the final look :P but maybe I'll keep that one till the end :)