Skezza's Flash Red OEM+ Daily Workhorse SDI (Projector Retrofit)

Skezza

Started my projector retrofit yesterday. First job removing my good lights from my car and replacing with a set of badly UV damaged shitters I got from a scrapyard for twenty quid. UV damaged yes, fine for now though.

I will get a guide up but I can tell this is going to take a few hours. I'll need to remove the lens, then clean them, they're pretty dirty inside. I'm also going to spray all the reflectors flat black.

Edited by Skezza

Better get some pics up, don't want anyone accusing me of not having a Lupo no more :P:D

So, fitted some new sidelights yesterday while in the process of removing my good headlights to install UV damaged. Not sure how long they'll stay because with the projector retrofit, it might not be possible to fit a sidelight in past the shroud, if that's the case I'll have to work out something with angel eyes or something.

uRryeFc.jpg?1

nRn0rlf.jpg?1

rrmcKkl.jpg?1

WsmVfST.jpg?1

• Like 1

Bo4KNdl.jpg

This is the type of projector I'm fitting. It's a Mini H1, therefore only H1 bulbs will fit. Not a big deal, just something to note. It's got a 2.5 inch diameter with an excellent distribution of light and a sharp cutoff. It'll need calibrating (and cleaning with a microfibre cloth) but it'll look great I reckon. I will maybe start dismantling one light tonight as a practice and then I can really get a good understanding. How To certainly on the way :)

For anyone interested, this is a UV damaged light. From the front, there doesn't look to be any real problem with the light, that's because UV damage is only visible when looking at certain angles. Effectively, UV damage causes the plastic lens to turn brittle and this causes the haze that you get at certain angles, you can just about see top left of the first photo. It also causes the yellowing. All you can do about this, is either replace the lens, replace the headlight, or sand using a 1000 grit and see if you can get rid of it. I may sand these anyway. I don't know yet.

r9iZcZx.jpg?1

You can see a certain amount of UV damage on this photo.

Rx0G6PN.jpg?1

Really bad at this angle though.

Ln0b0QJ.jpg?1

Wow big updates, but no mention of new window switches.

haha, well they're fitted and great. I've got another batch coming in hopefully this week. With VW's ridiculous pricing right now (24.99) it'd be daft not to import them for Club Lupo members.

I've had one apart as you know and was shocked to see the internal design is far superior to the OEM VW ones. There's a massive flaw with OEM switches that mean they'll inevitably fail. If not from the moisture issue then from the issue yours has which is having to press hard right?

Hard is an understatement lol! feels like it'll go through the door card sometimes.

I imagine it's partly the moisture issue but partly to do with this other issue I've identified. Are you thinking of dismantling?

It should be noted my Lupo was made in 1999 which means it's the original revision 1, it's very possible VW revised the switch design. I'm convinced they revised the central locking mechanism which is why newer Arosa/Loops have quiet mechs and old ones make a racket. Never did fix the micro switch problem though. I think they fixed it on the MK5 Golf though.

So what you are saying is your new switches might not fit mine? and I still need to fix the passenger door micro switch problem by no light comes on when you open it and it doesn't lock automatically.

no they'll fit, I mean revise it internally. Circuit board and most importantly this ridiculous design fault that's evident on both my two dead switches. I've got one dismantled at home so I'll take some photos to show you. If you decide to dismantle yours, I'd be curious to see if they look more like these aftermarket switches inside or share the same design as the OEM ones I took off.

like how its coming on! you got anything planned for the boot/back or just keeping it simple

Well, currently, I want to sort that rear bumper out. It's a right mess. The paint has entirely oxidized so looks pretty awful :(

I don't think I'll do anything like smoothing it. I quite like the use of the boot, you got any suggestions :P

I've been tempted buy a new set of rears and smoke them? Thoughts?

well depends what you want to use the car for tbh?

could go with a false floor to flatten out the rear seats and boot?

havent really been a fan of the smoked light. cambridge lights are so nice.

just waiting for the gearbox to be done on mine so i can start the modding :D

well depends what you want to use the car for tbh?

could go with a false floor to flatten out the rear seats and boot?

havent really been a fan of the smoked light. cambridge lights are so nice.

just waiting for the gearbox to be done on mine so i can start the modding :D

Cambridge lights are pretty tidy. Lovely mod.

Good question. Been so long I've forgotten. I'll have to work it out lol. Not much though. Don't I owe you some for helping with the shockers ?

Projector retrofit underway. Watch this space. Hopefully before the years out this will be done and I wonder if there will be a few who fancy copying this mod ;)

• Like 1