Skezza's Flash Red OEM+ Daily Workhorse SDI (Projector Retrofit)

Skezza

May as well get a build thread going for my Lupo SDI. Engine is stock. Ride height is stock. Had 92k miles on when I bought it.GBCI3N9.jpg?1?5565

This was how she arrived and looked after a proper wash (a bit dirty when I first got it):

JrD7ymQ.jpg

Obligatory reflection shot which is of course my avatar picture ;):D :

2dlmpCn.jpg

XZfxOc3.jpg

Anyway, the first bit of work I did was getting rid of the god awful stickers. Unfortunately, the garage the previous owner bought it off appeared to damage a few of the elements in the heated window (they were knackered BEFORE the stickers came off). I've not got this fixed yet and don't really intend to, it clears well enough, just irritating I guess.

efB8FIB.jpg

Since fitted some nice blue/white reversing bulbs

CIsCp9O.jpg

I've now owned it for just over a year. I whacked a massive 25 thousand miles on it in 12 months, with just the wiper linkage failing in the process. Just weeks after the 12 month anniversary, the pedal box went, which isn't bad going really considering the amount of use it gets. Since then I get some nice alloys on, here she is after I gave her a proper clean with some proper detailing work and polishing including headlights which I did using a very cheap medium cut cleaner.

XF7Qpsg.jpg

I've fitted a Scangauge on the steering column and relocated the stock OBD2 port to behind the heater controls. I've added a second OBD2 port by splitting the stock port off and placing a new port where the old one used to be. The other port of the splitter goes to my Scangauge. I get pretty impressive MPG out of this kiddo and that's part of the reason I like to use my Scangauge.
The only other thing worth noting, this may well be the first Lupo in the world to have real in-built OEM+ style TMC (Traffic Message Channel). Basically, it gets me live traffic and weather updates for my Head Unit's Sat Nav. What makes it different is off-the-shelf standalone sat navs tend to come with a wire which acts as the antenna for TMC (rubbish signal). Aftermarket head units usually come with a sticky pad that you feed through the dash and stick to the window (again, not brilliant). However with some hackery and a few bits off eBay, I've actually wired mine into the OEM car aerial which means along with providing my radio, it now provides RDS traffic updates, so yes, it's truly OEM+.
The only thing that let's this Lupo down is the rear bumper is a little bit rough. I don't think it's ever been sprayed to be honest, because it's slightly off Flash red, which has me thinking it might be red primer from the factory. So I have the choice of respraying or buying a replacement bumper. Any suggestions?
Work Done So Far:
Alloys
Head Unit + TMC Wiring
Rainbow Bulbs
LED Rear Lighting
Scangauge Fitted (The cable is now running up the steering column)
Edited by Skezza

Thanks for the comments :) Got some plans so watch this space, hopefully get a few How To's as well :P

Scott, it's doing pretty well although as I said in the OP, the rear bumper is suspect. It's definitely not 100% right. I'm wondering if it's perhaps ever been clear-coated because it seems slightly off flash red. So I'm wondering if I should lacquer it or spray it before. It could be red primer and therefore not the right colour.

Decisions decisions ;)

Edited by Skezza

Didn't notice that until you mentioned it. Has it perhaps faded over time? Or a previous owner may have resprayed it in the past but Tornado red?

Possibly faded, but there doesn't seem to be any lacquer on it. That said, it isn't peeling either.... red primer?

• 3 weeks later...

Spent yesterday doing some jobs on little Lupo, found some nice bodgeness from the previous owner regarding the rear washer. The connector behind the plastic panel on the passenger rear side had been taped up by some idiot previously and was leaking heavily leaving a rather unpleasant mess in the bottom of the arch well. I must admit, once I removed the panel, the smell of windscreen washing fluid engulfed the car and was still there this morning. Not nice.

What a mess:

d6OlOdd.jpg?1

Leaking down the wires + connectors... poor.

z6lLVaR.jpg?1

Taped up, oh dear...

zdPaqsV.jpg?1

Fixed

1aJZL7K.jpg?1

Good actually :D One less job to worry about :) I didn't use a G-clamp in the end. I used a set of heavy duty pliers. I'm not convinced ordinary pliers would generate enough force, a G-clamp didn't. I didn't oil it particularly, I just wonder is it worth going back adding some lithium grease?

To be honest, I wish I was at home working on my car. Work is **** when I know I could be doing jobs on the Loop :P