iPad on dash

It'd need to be an iPad Mini or Nexus 7. It's theoretically possible yeah, would need some DIY rewiring.

You'll quickly miss FM/AM Radio mind.

The iPad video by MCM isn't the best because they use a Scooby dash which are 'triple' DIN (new one?) which doesn't really exist on thousands of other cars. They should have fitted a Nexus 7 or iPad Mini in a car with a double DIN, which is very realistic.

The second video has been here before and I just can't decide if I like it. I like the idea of it. It's done like a pro, but you lose your heaters which is a bit of a pain and it's a bit bodge-riffic with the head unit below having to be aftermarket.

You can fit a Nexus 7 in the double DIN slot, get a mini amplifier behind, you could do something rather interesting ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I to am looking into this. Struggling to find a replacement dash and a half decent guide. All the guides on YouTube are all done by professionals and I am far from a professional haha!

well what specifically are you looking to do

I think this has been done using an FP-17-00 that was modified to accommodate a 7 inch Nexus or iPad. Would like to see how it looks ;)

The iPad video by MCM isn't the best because they use a Scooby dash which are 'triple' DIN (new one?) which doesn't really exist on thousands of other cars. They should have fitted a Nexus 7 or iPad Mini in a car with a double DIN, which is very realistic.

Ermm? MCM is set in Australia where most of the cars are Japanese or JDM's so quite common.

Also super lol that its a bodge since it doesn't use the crappy OEM headunit. GLOL!

Edited by Dblock

Ermm? MCM is set in Australia where most of the cars are Japanese or JDM's so quite common.

Also super lol that its a bodge since it doesn't use the crappy OEM headunit. GLOL!

DBlock, is triple DIN a JDM thing then? Fair point if it is, obviously it's not a particularly common thing over here and surely 'triple' DIN cars must be in the minority, even in Australia? That said, I get that they're doing a walkthrough so isn't supposed to be representative of all cars, just an abstract set of instructions. Fair do.

The reason I said the other one was a bit of a bodge isn't because he used an aftermarket head unit DBlock :rolleyes: you'll know from reading my thread I have an aftermarket head unit. The reason I said it was a bit of a bodge is because he's simply run the 3.5mm line-out into the back of an aftermarket head unit. Just a little bit lazy when he could have run the Nexus 7 directly into an amp or even used the POGO GPIO's that are located on the side of the Nexus 7 for super high quality audio (been done, on xda forums).

I'm not saying his attempt was bad, I'm sure it's very good and took a lot of effort, just wasn't too keen when I saw it myself, especially as he loses the heater vents.

Now, mount one in an FP-17-00 (it's the perfect size), run to a big amp, that's what I'd prefer. I'd do it myself, but I depend too much on MW radio. However, with 3G mobile getting more and more coverage, you never know what might be round the corner ;)

• Like 1

DBlock, is triple DIN a JDM thing then? Fair point if it is, obviously it's not a particularly common thing over here and surely 'triple' DIN cars must be in the minority, even in Australia? That said, I get that they're doing a walkthrough so isn't supposed to be representative of all cars, just an abstract set of instructions. Fair do.

The reason I said the other one was a bit of a bodge isn't because he used an aftermarket head unit DBlock :rolleyes: you'll know from reading my thread I have an aftermarket head unit. The reason I said it was a bit of a bodge is because he's simply run the 3.5mm line-out into the back of an aftermarket head unit. Just a little bit lazy when he could have run the Nexus 7 directly into an amp or even used the POGO GPIO's that are located on the side of the Nexus 7 for super high quality audio (been done, on xda forums).

I'm not saying his attempt was bad, I'm sure it's very good and took a lot of effort, just wasn't too keen when I saw it myself, especially as he loses the heater vents.

Now, mount one in an FP-17-00 (it's the perfect size), run to a big amp, that's what I'd prefer. I'd do it myself, but I depend too much on MW radio. However, with 3G mobile getting more and more coverage, you never know what might be round the corner ;)

Jdms have some weird stuff in them.

I agree but it does work. I think calling it a bodge was unfair to the work the guy out in. I wouldn't do it as they are my favourite vents lol but he wanted a good stealthy install which is what he got. Yes he could have probably spent more time and money making it better instead of the jack. But it does work its simple, cheap and effective. Maybe he lacked knowledge in the nexus bit but I'm very impressed in the way he managed to do it and it aesthically looked pleasing.

Jdms have some weird stuff in them.

I agree but it does work. I think calling it a bodge was unfair to the work the guy out in. I wouldn't do it as they are my favourite vents lol but he wanted a good stealthy install which is what he got. Yes he could have probably spent more time and money making it better instead of the jack. But it does work its simple, cheap and effective. Maybe he lacked knowledge in the nexus bit but I'm very impressed in the way he managed to do it and it aesthically looked pleasing.

Fair do Dblock, you got me there. It was harsh to call it a bodge because the work making it fit and stuff was to a very high standard (pretty pro, like I said) and the way it slides in and stuff is excellent. Like yourself, I couldn't live without those vents. Aside from being the ones I tend to use the most, they're probably the most functional. They certainly fill the car more than the others if you get me?

You're right. It does look aesthetically pleasing and it probably won't suffer from glare like some double dins do, with it being recessed in the dash itself.

That said, mounting one in the double DIN hole using an FP-17-00 would be seriously good. The extra space behind would allow a small amp perhaps and some other trickery?

All in good time though :D

• Like 1

That's all I was saying credit where credit is due. Tbh I like double dins but I like my car to be DARK at night. I think I'm sensitive to light or something. I know you can dim the nexus but it won't do it automatically or by time will it? In my other car double din is great for navigating large discs but even on max dim it's still a little bright for me. No one else minds it though.

Looking forward to see how your going to do it. You might sway me to get one too :)

That's all I was saying credit where credit is due. Tbh I like double dins but I like my car to be DARK at night. I think I'm sensitive to light or something. I know you can dim the nexus but it won't do it automatically or by time will it? In my other car double din is great for navigating large discs but even on max dim it's still a little bright for me. No one else minds it though.

Looking forward to see how your going to do it. You might sway me to get one too :)

Your double din doesn't have a sleep function? On mine, (albeit one of those unspoken knock-offs), tap the top left hand corner and it completely blanks the screen, without killing the audio of course. Ideal for long drives especially at night. My previous double din, also an unspoken knock-off had a timer you could set as well which was really clever. Surely you can sleep mainstream double dins? Seems a massive waste of electricity if you can't ? lol. Mine has a dimmer which you can wire into the headlights but I didn't actually try that hard to get it working, so I have no idea how to set it up lol...

You can dim a Nexus, or any Android device by time, I think

Your double din doesn't have a sleep function? On mine, (albeit one of those unspoken knock-offs), tap the top left hand corner and it completely blanks the screen, without killing the audio of course. Ideal for long drives especially at night. My previous double din, also an unspoken knock-off had a timer you could set as well which was really clever. Surely you can sleep mainstream double dins? Seems a massive waste of electricity if you can't ? lol. Mine has a dimmer which you can wire into the headlights but I didn't actually try that hard to get it working, so I have no idea how to set it up lol...

You can dim a Nexus, or any Android device by time, I think

Never seen one. Seems a bit silly will look at the manual tonight. What will a tablet do that your fancy headunit won't do atm?

Never seen one. Seems a bit silly will look at the manual tonight. What will a tablet do that your fancy headunit won't do atm?

play angry birds? :D
  • Like 1