Lupo GTI - Buying Advice

eddd

Hi SJ2112,

We would love to come and view yours, only problem is the distance.

We are pretty busy over the next 2 weekends so can only view ones that are fairly local to us if they become available (we live in Worcester).

Hi SJ2112,

We would love to come and view yours, only problem is the distance.

We are pretty busy over the next 2 weekends so can only view ones that are fairly local to us if they become available (we live in Worcester).

I understand but if you want one, surely it is worth the distance?

I traveled from portsmouth to leeds twice for my previous car. :)

I understand but if you want one, surely it is worth the distance?

I traveled from portsmouth to leeds twice for my previous car. :)

Certainly worth the distance, it's just the problem of having the time to drive there and back for the next couple of weeks.

If it's still available in april we will come down :)

Certainly worth the distance, it's just the problem of having the time to drive there and back for the next couple of weeks.

If it's still available in april we will come down :)

No problem, i am obviously hoping it isn't as i would like to lease the new Golf R :shades:

Thanks for the repsonse Silver, are you talking about the KW K&N panel filters?

We have had a look at rocco_man's, it was very nice, the exterior was mint. However, it did not have latest MOT and has not been serviced for a while.

I have also been in contact with a guy selling a lowered example, he has fitted AP coilovers: http://www.apcoilovers.com/ap_coilover_details.php?id=405 how do you rate these?

He said: "They completely replace the original suspension struts and springs (which I have kept) and they provide a sportier firmer ride and are height adjustable by setting the spring higher or lower manually".
My concern is the damper cannot be adjusted, so could the ride be too firm?

Now comes with 12 months mot 6 months tax serviced fluid changes and middle box replacement.

Mot had lapsed due being sorned off the road and not used as a daily as it only comes out in good weather.

• Like 1

i have looked at all of these on the internet and 2 in real life,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Lupo-1-6-GTI-12-Mths-Tax-Mot-Any-Px-Welcome-/321338497080?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ad1445838

this one is in decent condition, needs abit of a clean in the engine bay, had the rear passenger seat belt casing missing and the front end was covered in scratches (not ones that tcut/polish could move would need a good expensive MOP) also had some white pieces of plastic shuved in the dash to stop rattle, the gear stick was abit fadded and the alloys needed a refurb. i bidded him 5000 because of these he said he would only do 5400 so i walked away. Planning to go look at another one this week/weekend ;) maybe one posted on here :)

Nice, I was hoping sj2112's was still available in April as that's the first opportunity we have to travel down to view.

Looks an awesome example.

ive been looking at it for about a month and now ive cleared my money etc it was too good to miss, just got the 3.5hr drive to fetch it

Way too expensive, especially for the age. £8,500 for a 13 year old car? In the words of the prominent cockney "he's avin a larff"

If they become the classic they are predicted to be, there will come a time when the price will rise for good examples, I mean look at Type 2s!

I think however they [the sellers] are about 10 years ahead of themselves.

Unless it is super-cheap, I wouldn't.

The problem with no service history (and by that I mean no stamped service book and/or receipts showing mileage) is that you have no way of verifying the actual mileage. Yes, you can use the MOT history check but I think that only goes back 5 years at the moment which is not much good for a 12 year old car.

Also, if the owner(s) have not been that meticulous with the paperwork they may not have been meticulous with its upkeep.

Also, bear in mind that if and when you come to sell, the next buyer will be thinking the same.

BUT, as I said at the start, there is always a price that will shift a car with no service history ;)

Agree with you there, a few more years and it would be justified.

I think it may be a fair few years though. If you look at older hot hatches like the the Clio Williams, which was pretty much an iconic car in its day and can still hold its own against modern hot hatches, prices are still pretty depressed. 1994-5 versions go for around £3,500

It would be worth a look; by meeting the seller and seeing the general condition of the car, you would get a feeling for the care which has been taken over home servicing.

I used to service my cars, but then I always filled in the service record and kept receipts in a folder to back it up.