should i walk away from this lupo? or is it worth it?

knottyham

Went to look at a lupo today, a 1.0e, which is the spec i was looking at for my first car.

2001 reg, with 169k on it. Lots of paperwork with bills for services etc. Tax till august.

dealer is going to put 12 months mot on, and a new cambelt and water pump. Also has three months warranty on it. Price including all of this was £995..

i put a £50 deposit down, but just want your opinions on whether a loop with this many miles is worth it. I wont be putting a lot of miles on it as i work a five min walk away and will only need it for around 15 miles a day, a few times a week

thanks

Edited by knottyham

Is it likely to be something i regret if i buy it? I'm not the most mechanically minded person.what's likely to go wrong?

without seeing it and knowing it's history it's almost impossible to say, but if the pedal box, gear box are original, they could be well on the way out. You just don't know without seeing receipts/history.

There's not necessarily anything mechanically wrong with the engine. They're good engines. Well serviced they can go for ages, but it sounds very well used.

I think so unless you take someone who knows about cars with you, take it for a test drive, get it down to about £500 barter ;) and then so long as you're happy run it into the ground then you won't lose to much money, just be aware it'll need regular checking.

Don't think the guy was going to budge... At all. He seemed rather offended at my attempts to reduce the price to £800... Don't really have anyone who knows about cars, as none of my parents drive. I'm finding it really difficult to make a good decision and seems every car ive looked at so far and actually liked, had something or other stopping me!

i would be concerned about the mileage the whole time i had the car to be honest, it would be on my mind constantly. I even feel like it now! Imagine what id be like when i was driving it!!

thanks again everyone. Bit disappointed as it was perfect, right colour, right spec. Ah well!

Edited by knottyham

I think so unless you take someone who knows about cars with you, take it for a test drive, get it down to about £500 barter ;) and then so long as you're happy run it into the ground then you won't lose to much money, just be aware it'll need regular checking.

this is true. You could buy it with the sole intention of running it till it dies. Don't spend any money you don't have to. Don't do any mods. Just use it till you can get something better

this is true. You could buy it with the sole intention of running it till it dies. Don't spend any money you don't have to. Don't do any mods. Just use it till you can get something better

Then break for the bits that are good to regain some money.

Unfortunately very doubtful, have you tried looking on gum tree, the classifieds here? I'd avoid eBay, my girlfriend bought her lupo of eBay and we've had a few problems with it, but we got a good deal on it.

Edited by mattarosa

Thanks for the help. Do you know if i can get my deposit back?

Its not a massive deposit, £50 so I'm not too worried . Wont be putting a deposit down like that again! ive looked on those sites but just feel very wary of buying privately! Even less sure of what to loom for when its all private!

I think you might have to cut your losses on this one pal. You could ask him, but to be honest, he sounds a bit of a dodgy **** to me, so he might pull the old "well I turned someone away yesterday who came with cash" excuse. The fact he was offended by your offer of £800 makes me think he was trying to dupe you to be honest. Most dealers expect a negotiation of anywhere up to a few hundred pounds. In my limited experience of selling cars, it becomes somewhat obvious if the prospective buyer is knowledgeable or not.

Please don't be put off buying one though mate. Buying a car without any help can be a bit ruthless, especially if you've not done it before. There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there who will tell you any old crap, but we'll help you check the right things and ask the right questions.

Where are you from pal? I'm a regular checker of Gumtree as you regularly see some mega good private sales on there. There's nothing wrong with a private sale trust me. It's all about who you buy it from. If you turn up and the guy is stoned off his face, then think again. If you turn up and it's Mrs Applebee from just down the road who has a full service history and used it to tootle to the shops and back, there's no reason for you to be put off because it's private. She's also less likely to screw you over or lie (Although she may not know the answers to your questions).

We'll help you anyway. Lots of people on here who can help.

I personally don't recommend a Ka, at all. Real problems with rust. Sills, filler cap, under body, arches, wiper mount and more. I would know, my missus has had two, both have had rust problems. The one thing they have going for them is the engines are generally bullet proof when maintained properly, especially the old Endura. The other problem is they rust from the inside so by the time it's obvious, it's too late there will be significant damage you can't see.

Lupo's are good reliable cars and they rarely rust, although it's worth checking the roof guttering.

Edited by Skezza

Hm.... Not really sure. I guess I'd be most happy with something under 100k...

Might do a quick quote on a 1.4 for myself now. I'd be paying monthly most likely so that's of course going to impact the price too. What do you pay (if you don't mind me asking)

However, I'm not fussed on having a slower 1.0... I love the lupo and won't really need that extra power/speed for the kind of driving I will be doing!

Bearing in mind i bought my arosa for £2200 after writing my previous arosa off, I'm 21 one years no claims just had to renew and got it for £446 fully comp. My missus is 19 pays monthly her one litre SE I think she's paying £96 a month fully comp. Here is on near as damn it 80,000 got it for £1200.