Dangers of Budget Brand Tyres (HQ Pics)

So yesterday I removed my alloys and put my steels on. Main reason, I got a puncture in my front passenger tyre and decided best thing to do was whip them all off as I don't have time to head up to the tyre place at the moment. I knew the one on the rear passenger was on the way out, but I didn't realize quite how badly this had warped, malformed and left me with a very uneven wear pattern and very dangerous tyre.

I'm normally pretty meticulous in checking my tyres, but just lately I've slacked. Really, this is a warning, check your tyres regularly and if there's a cheap option, don't be fooled, they might not be up to the task, do your research. It's scary to think that at times last week, I was driving at 70mph on this tyre, with my girlfriend as well.

Yesterday, I whipped off the three remaining alloys and was horrified to see how badly the only budget tyre on my car had held up:

M8z6UKN.jpg

Dangerously uneven wear pattern caused by the tyre bowing in the middle.

qX9LN82.jpg

Significant patch of wear in a small section. If you look closely, the wear is so deep that the metal wires which help maintain the tyres structure are on show.

J8tevp6.jpgLooking terrible.

cfPDxld.jpgSignificant bulging at the rear of the tyre.

V1GkX6c.jpgCracking on this side of the tyre.

vvBuPDj.jpgWhere the tyre has lifted.

Edited by Skezza

Looks like you need alignment to me?

Wheels were aligned about 3 months ago. The significant wear patch has been caused by bulging at the rear of the tyre in my opinion. If you look, the tyre has actually bowed in the middle a bit like a banana. The central section is inwards and the outer area is pushed outwards.

Edited by Skezza

You could be right but look at the wear pattern. That's not good cheap tyres or not. What's your camber at?

I don't have a camber, by that I mean the wheels are as upright as possible. The wheels are standard softlines.

The wheel on the other side has a very even wear pattern although I know that wouldn't make a difference.

Edited by Skezza

that Tyre looks very old & has been ran Under inflated for a while.

when a tire has cracks... its not in great shape.

if you do alot of city driving where you don't reach great speed then i see no issues with budget tyres.

a cheap tyre size for standard sized lupo wheels..

155/70 13. near enough same Roling radius, less rolling resistance (more Mpg) and a better choice of tyres.

Have you been doing donuts again :swerve:

That is the worst tyre I have ever seen (still in one piece)!

Must have been something dodgey going on with whoever sold you that. Are you sure it isn't the original spare from somewhere?

ps photo #5 wheel looks misshapen, might be the camera angle though

Have you checked the age via the DOT codes?

Edited by stator

So what you replacing them with?

Probably Eagle Touring's as they're my favourite midrange tyre at the moment.

that Tyre looks very old & has been ran Under inflated for a while.

when a tire has cracks... its not in great shape.

if you do alot of city driving where you don't reach great speed then i see no issues with budget tyres.

a cheap tyre size for standard sized lupo wheels..

155/70 13. near enough same Roling radius, less rolling resistance (more Mpg) and a better choice of tyres.

It certainly hasn't been run under-inflated, at least not by me. Even when I checked it the other day, it was a respectable 37psi. I'm guessing there's a chance it's sat in the previous owners garage for a few years or something along those lines. Not particularly brilliant though. I thought a tyre was meant to last up to 5 years in storage?

I don't do a lot of city driving really. Most of my driving is high mileage stuff. I clock roughly 25k miles a year. Interesting, so would those tyres have much effect on the speedo?

Have you been doing donuts again :swerve:

That is the worst tyre I have ever seen (still in one piece)!

Must have been something dodgey going on with whoever sold you that. Are you sure it isn't the original spare from somewhere?

ps photo #5 wheel looks misshapen, might be the camera angle though

Have you checked the age via the DOT codes?

Haha, donuts in the Loop, maybe :D

I can't verify it's history, at least before I owned it. It could well be that it's an original spare or something along those lines. I wouldn't know though. At the time I bought the alloys, it was round and in fairly good condition.

When you say the wheel, do you mean the alloy or tyre? The alloy is round as far as I can tell. The tyre is very misshapen, almost lopsided.

I'll check the DOT codes if I get chance tonight.