Fuel filler cap

Mine locks but I regularly forget. Doubt anyone is going to steal your fuel lol....

Do Lupo's have anti-siphoning devices? I tried to siphon some diesel out of my own SDI once and failed miserably and ended up going round the local garage with a jerry can.

Edited by Skezza

Evening chaps.

My fuel filler cap lock doesn't appear to work. The lock turns but doesn't seem to lock the cap. Is this a common problem?

If I have to replace it do I need to replace all the other locks?

Mine had the same problem recently. I went to VW to ask about a replacement and they wanted about £50. So, my Dad took apart my fuel cap and found that a piece of white plastic had broken. I bought a fuel cap from a scrapped Lupo on eBay for £5 and we took that one apart, transplanted the plastic part into mine, and now my original one works again :) Alternatively, you could do as shearermax said and buy a generic one from a motor factors. I did that until I bought the Lupo one but it was annoying having a different key and I missed that thing where you can place the Lupo one on top of the filler cap whilst you fill up!

Mine had the same problem recently. I went to VW to ask about a replacement and they wanted about £50. So, my Dad took apart my fuel cap and found that a piece of white plastic had broken. I bought a fuel cap from a scrapped Lupo on eBay for £5 and we took that one apart, transplanted the plastic part into mine, and now my original one works again :) Alternatively, you could do as shearermax said and buy a generic one from a motor factors. I did that until I bought the Lupo one but it was annoying having a different key and I missed that thing where you can place the Lupo one on top of the filler cap whilst you fill up!

Don't suppose you have any photos to show the broken bit?

As promised, here are pictures to show how my Dad and I repaired my fuel cap that appeared to lock, but then unscrewed.

I bought a fuel cap from a Lupo that was being broken for parts and then we carefully dismantled it so that we could transplant a part that had broken in my original one.

355c1f98b44b87d00cea_2.jpg

This is the fuel cap. You'll need to prise out the rubber seal with a flat-bladed screwdriver.

355c1f98b44b87d00cea_3.jpg

Then, using the screwdriver, prise the locking part from the rest of the cap.

355c1f98b44b87d00cea_4.jpg

You'll then have this.

355c1f98b44b87d00cea_5.jpg

The locking barrel lifts out.

355c1f98b44b87d00cea_6.jpg

The white plastic part on the right is the part that broke in my original fuel cap. The broken part is shown just below it.

355c1f98b44b87d00cea_7.jpg

The white plastic part and the spring fit into the chamber at the bottom of the lock barrel.

355c1f98b44b87d00cea_8.jpg

To remove them (and fit the new one in), lift up this clip.

355c1f98b44b87d00cea_9.jpg

Then pull the lock barrel out a little way.

355c1f98b44b87d00cea_1.jpg

Then you can put the spring and the white plastic part in place. You'll need the key to ensure it's unlocked and you may need to move the key around in the lock to ensure the white plastic part is seated properly. Then push the lock barrel back into place, replace the clip, and in the spirit of Haynes manuals, 'refitting is a reversal of removal' :)

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I've never managed to syphon fuel out of a lupo, even if nearly full. There's that wierd kink in the filler pipe and blow back arrester (little spring loaded button right inside the filler neck).

Why lock it?

I currently have a nice one with a key.

I also have a few spare locks to match it.

I syphoned a Lupo the other day by poking the fuel line directly into the tt tank and hooking 12v up to the fuel pump, easy and painless.

Yeah I do the same on my SDIs when I need a can of diesel- feed the bleed line into a can while the engine is running. It pumps it out for you in minutes :)