Stretch help please!!

Joenoone96

You're about to open a can of worms. Strictly speaking no stretched tyres are safe as you're putting extra pressure on the sidewalls and always run the risk of popping a bead. I won't get into ethics, here's pictures of what they will look like. If you want to run them, do it but don't cry here if you pop a bead or get pulled. Coppers seem to be getting wise against stretched tyres and are handing out VDRS' like mad, at least in the north west.

7.0_165_50_15_Nankang_NS2.jpg

8.0_175_50_R15_Hankook_K406_5.jpg

Edited by matt123roll

As far as I'm aware stretched tyres are legal as long as the actual tread which contacts the road is within the arch and not protruding. I had no issues at all with the police and I ran 8j with stretched tyres on my fiesta ST for ages.

There are a lot of myths about stretched tyres and whether they're safe, bottom line is if they're so unsafe how can the drifters run stretched tyres and put them through hell and not have a blow out?

Reduces wall flex which means road grip is improved. Stretched tyres also look bad ass.

But there will be some police out there who will try and do you for it more than likely, just look up on the law like I did before I committed and you'll be safe.

As far as I'm aware stretched tyres are legal as long as the actual tread which contacts the road is within the arch and not protruding. I had no issues at all with the police and I ran 8j with stretched tyres on my fiesta ST for ages.

There are a lot of myths about stretched tyres and whether they're safe, bottom line is if they're so unsafe how can the drifters run stretched tyres and put them through hell and not have a blow out?

Reduces wall flex which means road grip is improved. Stretched tyres also look bad ass.

But there will be some police out there who will try and do you for it more than likely, just look up on the law like I did before I committed and you'll be safe.

It's a real grey area in terms of legality. I had a mate who got 2 VDRS notices from the same copper in a month for his tyres and they weren't even mega stretch. He was pulled a 3rd time by the same copper who seized the car saying it was in an unroadworthy condition. When asked why he said that the tyres were not fitted to the correct size rim as stated in manufacture specs. There is no specific law against stretch but the coppers will just argue the car is unroadworthy and in the end it's very hard to argue with them.

In the end he got the car back and never received points etc but he had a lot of cost in terms of storage fees, recovery etc! Seen very similar stories online also.

That's shocking! Some coppers are out to cause grief, feel sorry for the guy :(

Yeah after the first time it was clearly a vendetta, in the end he wrote a formal complaint against the officer for harassment and has since bought an ibiza cupra boc since he had so many issues with the old car.

I run 165/50/15s on my front bbs 7j and 185/45/15 on rear 8j which are better suited than 175/50/15 in my opinion and ive drove hundreds off miles all over the country to shows with no problems you can look on my readers rides to see how they look its when your stretching a 165/50/15 on to an 8j when it becomes a bit dicey id never feel comfortable pushing a car into a corner with that stretch

I'm clearly the only one on the planet that thinks stretched tyres look ****ing stupid. Ignoring all the obvious problems that come with it, I just don't think it looks that good. Matt123 posted two photos above. The second one, I can just about stomach, no idea if the first is different, but it's horrific. It just looks terrible. The blingtastic alloy doesn't help, but that just looks awful.

I must be getting very old.

Blingtastic?????? you are talking about a rare and very sought after wheel right there.

Blingtastic, sorry, I meant Blingshitty. Sought after by whom exactly? You? Your friends? Certainly not me and a considerable number of others. I assume they're BBS, I can't actually tell to be honest, I'm really not that knowledgeable when it comes to wheels. With all due respect, wheels are wheels and on a VW Lupo, it really doesn't make a great difference what rims you have. In fact, I took my alloys off today and put a set of steels on temporarily. Guess what? They spin just like the alloys in that photo above. The only difference is the owner of those particular rims has a better chance of pulling the local jailbait at their nearest McDonalds, KFC or Burger King on a Friday night.

I think we've digressed a little bit here, we were talking about stretched tyres... Yep, that's another stupid (and dangerous) fad, scene kid idea, just like stickerbombing, and rat-rodding.

Edited by Skezza

Blingtastic, sorry, I meant Blingshitty. Sought after by whom exactly? You? Your friends? Certainly not me and a considerable number of others. I assume they're BBS, I can't actually tell to be honest, I'm really not that knowledgeable when it comes to wheels. With all due respect, wheels are wheels and on a VW Lupo, it really doesn't make a great difference what rims you have. In fact, I took my alloys off today and put a set of steels on temporarily. Guess what? They spin just like the alloys in that photo above. The only difference is the owner of those particular rims has a better chance of pulling the local jailbait at their nearest McDonalds, KFC or Burger King on a Friday night.

I think we've digressed a little bit here, we were talking about stretched tyres... Yep, that's another stupid (and dangerous) fad, scene kid idea, just like stickerbombing, and rat-rodding.

Your forgetting one thing.

Scene > Logic.

My experience is that those tyres - particularly the Nankangs - are pretty rubbish. It made the car twitchy and useless in the rain. Other people disagree.

I hated driving on them so much that I went to 195/45/15 on 7j. Toyos have quite a stiff sidewall so imo they still give a mild stretch.

My experience is that those tyres - particularly the Nankangs - are pretty rubbish. It made the car twitchy and useless in the rain. Other people disagree.

I hated driving on them so much that I went to 195/45/15 on 7j. Toyos have quite a stiff sidewall so imo they still give a mild stretch.

Yes, I concur, that Nankang tyres are very poor........