Jacking a Lupo up on a trolley jack

Hi Guys,

I'm going to purchase a trolley jack this weekend so working on my Lupo is more accessible and wondered if someone could help me out with some advice. :)

I would like to know where the best place is to jack my Lupo up with a trolley jack is, so either both front wheels or both rear wheels are off the ground. I know there are jacking points next/near to all 4 wheels, but I was wondering if there is a safe place to jack the whole front/rear of the car up using a trolley jack, as it would make life a little easier when changing wheels etc.

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

I'm not sure it's possible to jack the entire frontend up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Wheel changes don't really take long I'm sure you could do it without needing both off the floor lol :P You could always grab a set of axle stands?

The rear wheels can both be lifted using the rear tow eye. I have never found a safe way to get both the fronts off with just a jack though. Just get some axle stands and jack up one side at a time, lowering it onto the axle stands. If you put them at the front, you can jack up at the rear tow eye and then have all 4 wheels off the ground.

Thanks for the advice and info Jon :) so next question, is there a point in buying a trolley jack or shall I stick to the one I already have that came with the Loop?!

Yeah you should buy a good quality trolley jack and a set of stands. Scissor jacks (the one that comes in your car) should only be used in emergencies and you should never really get under your car when it's on one. Heard many a story about them collapsing and a few horror stories about people being crushed under cars because a scissor jack failed, aplty named 'widowmakers'

• Like 1

Hi Matt, thanks for the reply and the advice not go under the car with the current scissor jack. I think the key here is to jack each side once at a time (with a trolley jack) and just take my time with whatever it is i'm doing.

Many thanks for all the replies and help you have given I know understand there is no 'easy' option! :)

Definitely use a trolley jack. The standard jack can slip very easily and even if you're not under the car you will still end up with a big dent in your sill.

Edited by jon_273
  • Like 2

Yeah you should buy a good quality trolley jack and a set of stands. Scissor jacks (the one that comes in your car) should only be used in emergencies and you should never really get under your car when it's on one. Heard many a story about them collapsing and a few horror stories about people being crushed under cars because a scissor jack failed, aplty named 'widowmakers'

Lupo scissor jacks aRE AMAZING. if your car is lowered they can get it up enough to get the trolley jack in.

Yup, the VW jack is called the 'widowmaker' for a good reason. Trolley Jack is safer with axle stands. Though if I'm not working on wheels I prefer ramps

Holy **** is that real or is that Photoshopped/Staged? Jesus tap-dancing christ that's insane. To be fair, I regularly see a guy working under his car with trolley jacks on both sides and I wince every time I do. So so dangerous. The current trolley jack we own is about 40 years old, but has been re-sealed once due to it pissing oil out and dropping the car from mid air. I'm tempted to buy a new one. ALDI are about to sell one for £25 which is a very good price imo.

Edited by Skezza

Holy **** is that real or is that Photoshopped/Staged? Jesus tap-dancing christ that's insane. To be fair, I regularly see a guy working under his car with trolley jacks on both sides and I wince every time I do. So so dangerous. The current trolley jack we own is about 40 years old, but has been re-sealed once due to it pissing oil out and dropping the car from mid air. I'm tempted to buy a new one. ALDI are about to sell one for £25 which is a very good price imo.

That's the one I'm getting haha! Going to check it out when they have it in stock :thumbsup:

Spent a little bit extra and get something like this

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/tjl2-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack?___store=sgs_en&___store=sgs_en&gclid=CO7Kor6WurwCFYrjwgodZ3gAXw

Trolley jacks can easily be had for £25 so Aldi aren't really offering a bargain and I'd personally rather purchase a reputable brand such as SGS

• Like 1

I usually manage to get my trolley jacks (2) on the bolts mounting the subframe. it's solid enough and then use axle stands where the subframe mounts the bottom arms. one trolley jack can lift the rear axle and put two axle stands under the rear axle mounts, simples! car off ground work done, reverse procedure. obviously if you've only got one trolley jack it takes a little longer. by the way the vw scissor jacks are shite, I took ours out of the boot and threw it in the garage, somewhere. I also have a fire brigade bag jack which is very useful, goes into places where you'd never get a trolley jack and on any surface , ideal when wheels come off, but that's another story. geoff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

B&Q have some good offers on at the. moment: Torq 5 piece lifting combo kit. Full kit with stands, jack and what not

Spent a little bit extra and get something like this

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/tjl2-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack?___store=sgs_en&___store=sgs_en&gclid=CO7Kor6WurwCFYrjwgodZ3gAXw

Trolley jacks can easily be had for £25 so Aldi aren't really offering a bargain and I'd personally rather purchase a reputable brand such as SGS

Forgot to say thanks for the links, will be checking them out today! :thumbsup: