Tip when changing heater control bulb

A few weeks ago the heater control bulb blew in my Lupo. You can buy 5 bulbs off eBay for about a pound, so I figured that was the logical choice seeing as I'm likely to have another Lupo or at least another VW and they used the same bulb up until recently. You can also buy LED replacements but I really don't think they're going to be any better. They might last longer, but there's a chance they won't be as bright.

Anyway, the bulb is really small. I really can't stress how small this bulb is and that in itself provides a problem. I didn't want to use a set of needle nose pliers to remove the bulb. I genuinely think with little effort you will crush it and then you've got a big problemo. I tried a set of eye brow tweezers which are very unlikely to crush the bulb, but they continually slipped off no matter how much I tried to clamp it. They're metal after all. However, there is a way you can do it with tweezers :)

Wrap the two ends (the part that clamps) in electrical tape. The photo below shows the kind of tweezers I used. Without electrical tape, they were useless, but with the two ends wrapped in a small piece of tape, it was very easy and there is little chance of crushing the bulb by accident. One thing to note, putting the bulb back in, I found the best way was to simply place it within the hole and then push in using my little finger. Feeding it in using the tweezers was near impossible. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem :)

Tweezers.jpg

Edited by Skezza

I use a small piece of washer hose, ideal as it cushions the bulb either side, but just the right size so that the bulb isn't swallowed into the hose when you press the bulb in..

vw actually do recommend using a piece of window washer pipe, but I've found that a piece of silicon washer pipe is much better, it's nice and soft and seems to grab the bulb without much fuss. geoff

• Like 1

Have you got a tip to actually pull the heater control out, i struggle just to pull it out and still yet havent managed too

You mean the middle knob? I can just about do it with my hands but it's bloody hard. I think the recommended way is to use a set of pliers wrapped in a cloth to prevent damage.

This is really weird. I fitted the new bulb and it's a bit dim so I figured I'd make sure it was pushed in. It's like there's nothing holding it in. It lights up but if your as much as touch it, it falls out. I'm starting to think I've bought the wrong bulb :/

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I bought these osram bulbs because i figured they might last longer than cheap chinese crap, but obviously you can find cheaper ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111366364880

I just used long nose pliers with no protection, but you can just put insulation tape around the nose of the pliers of you like.