where should I start (1.4 TDi)

Keelan

I want to start getting more out of this car bi I'm not sure what I should do first and what things would benefit being done before or after others.

Re-maps are standard an I would wnt to do it on a rolling road to get maximum out of the remap

I was wondering what else people have found to be good starting points.

I'm not sure if all of these would help entirely or to what extent. I am interested to what people could add the list.

- EGR delete

- de cat

- Three branch manifold

- Panel filter (forced/ram air intake?)

- Diesel purge

- Bigger fuel pump

If anyone could help it will be muchly appreciated

lol three branch manifold.

its a turbo diesel dude, going to have to fork out for a custom (and maybe messy) custom manifold to bolt onto the turbo.

you would probably see better results from getting a custom turbo back exhaust in a larger bore. (not sure on standard lupo sizes, but 2 1'2 inch would probably be alright). don't go overkill.

as for bigger fuel pump i don't think you can do much as its a 3 banger and its a PD engine for a start. maybe Bigger injectors, but that's quite a task on these engines.

also look into inter-cooler work lower charge temps should make everything last longer and give you a little more go

only so much the little GT15 can do

Edited by James827

EGR delete is a must. You can get it mapped out but the plunger is still there.

Decat is good.

I don't really see the point of the manifold. It is FI so unless it's tiny I don't think your going to get much. Agree with James.

Panel filter is good. From ANY induction kit there is no FORCED AIR OR RAM AIR effect. FI is Forced induction that is a turbo or super charger that is it.

Diesel purge is good but its only restoring power that is lost.

Bigger fuel pump well you will need alot of things. So really if you want power you will want bigger injectors, bigger turbo and bigger fuel pump. It will need mapped and possibly other things. You might be pushing 130bhp with worse fuel economy and you probably could have got a faster car in the first place. Reliability might be an issue at to high of a power/torque plus gearbox etc. But why let that stop you.

I know the way vw extract more power from the pd engine, which is what yours is 3/4 of is by using a different turbo and intercooler. there are people on the site who know more than me about messing about with this - it's just a matter of finding them. a remap will probably increase your boost pressure on your std turbo. if I was you I'd guess the new turbo/intercooler route would be the way to go. or you could drop a seat cupra pd engine into it. now that would be worth watching. geoff

I thought a 3-branch manifold was an odd idea. I thought about it when looking into how the cross overs put in bike exhausts and 4-branch manifolds work. User it's all to do with the suction of one drawing the gasses of the next combustion out better than the normal one.

I never thought of a separate exhaust for the turbo would help but I'll look into that.

As for a bigger/better turbo I'll have to put in more research, make one calls and see what it would be that I'm after. An intercooler upgrade and oil rad are on the list also would de-cat give a noticeable difference.

Do PDs need the back pressure?

With the panel filter, is there any way of effectively directing more air into it?

Would you have to upgrade the two fuel pumps?

Has anyone put a common rail diesel in a lupo yet?

I presume yes.

So it would be best to:

- Upgrade

turbo

intercooler

injectors

Panel filter

Fuel pump

Then diesel purge and remap.

I thought a 3-branch manifold was an odd idea. I thought about it when looking into how the cross overs put in bike exhausts and 4-branch manifolds work. User it's all to do with the suction of one drawing the gasses of the next combustion out better than the normal one.

I never thought of a separate exhaust for the turbo would help but I'll look into that.

As for a bigger/better turbo I'll have to put in more research, make one calls and see what it would be that I'm after. An intercooler upgrade and oil rad are on the list also would de-cat give a noticeable difference.

Do PDs need the back pressure?

With the panel filter, is there any way of effectively directing more air into it?

Would you have to upgrade the two fuel pumps?

Has anyone put a common rail diesel in a lupo yet?

I presume yes.

So it would be best to:

- Upgrade

turbo

intercooler

injectors

Panel filter

Fuel pump

Then diesel purge and remap.

Scavenging and pulsing yes but its not as important on a turbo diesel.

Bigger turbo is easy but at what cost does the power come at? Lag. So lets say your getting good power at 1.8krpm till about 3krpm you might be getting good power at 2.4krpm till 4krpm. Do you want to be hammering it for an extra 20 or so bhp?

Injectors I have read top out at about 135-150ish.

A vnt gives you the best of both worlds but fitting is the hard part well getting the vnt to work. Intercooler unless your hammering it will introduce more lag, you can minimize that with clever sizing though.

I don't believe PD's with turbos need backpressure due to the turbo.

If you look at the size of the panel filter its huge. I bet your getting more than enough flow there. Remember a diesel works by filling the cylinder with air every cycle.

Would someone go though of fitting common rail? I doubt it lol. Seems a waste of time unless they replaced the engine.

Honestly if your looking for performance that much why not buy a 1.9 tdi car or just a fast petrol. It will save money plus these upgrades will never get done.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone help me? I've got a 1.4 tdi arosa, it won't boost when the engine is warm but it will when it's cold, all my boost pipes are fine, the only thing I can think of is the boost solenoid, is there anything else or has anyone had this problem?

• 4 weeks later...

Turns out my wastegate isn't holding its pressure, if anyone else has a problem with their turbo then try the map sensor and boost pressure sensor first, also use a mighty vac to see if the wastegate holds pressure, check all boost pipes as well, hopefully I can get it repaired if not its about £500 plus vat

Turns out my wastegate isn't holding its pressure, if anyone else has a problem with their turbo then try the map sensor and boost pressure sensor first, also use a mighty vac to see if the wastegate holds pressure, check all boost pipes as well, hopefully I can get it repaired if not its about £500 plus vat

If your handy with the spanners you can replace it yourself?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it is mate, finally found my problem, belive it or not it was my coolant temperature sensor, I bought a cheap 8 pound one from Andrew pages, bought a 30 pound one from tps so it's a genuine vw part and my car runs perfectly again and hitting around 15 psi of boost according to my guage, time to get it mapped! :)

Yeah it is mate, finally found my problem, belive it or not it was my coolant temperature sensor, I bought a cheap 8 pound one from Andrew pages, bought a 30 pound one from tps so it's a genuine vw part and my car runs perfectly again and hitting around 15 psi of boost according to my guage, time to get it mapped! :)

Should it not be a little more like 18-19psi? But yeah get it mapped asap.

• 2 weeks later...