Speakers have blown

Driving home and turned the music up a little bit too loud for the speakers i guess, so the whole right side of the car which is the tweeter and door speaker just crackled then stopped altogether. I've read it can be a HU fault but i changed it for another one i have and the same problem happened, so i'm guessing this means it's the actual speakers that have bust.

If anyones experienced this it'd be great to share your experience so i know it might not be anything else.

In the meantime i have ordered a set of speakers excluding the tweeters from ebay complete with adapters for the arosa, nice set of edge ones.

Also the tweeters seem to be a little bit awkward, i've taken them out of the dash but how do i put new tweeters in the casing to keep the oem look? Don't want to break the casing!

Edited by Aaron_Joy

Driving home and turned the music up a little bit too loud for the speakers i guess, so the whole right side of the car which is the tweeter and door speaker just crackled then stopped altogether. I've read it can be a HU fault but i changed it for another one i have and the same problem happened, so i'm guessing this means it's the actual speakers that have bust.

If anyones experienced this it'd be great to share your experience so i know it might not be anything else.

In the meantime i have ordered a set of speakers excluding the tweeters from ebay complete with adapters for the arosa, nice set of edge ones.

Also the tweeters seem to be a little bit awkward, i've taken them out of the dash but how do i put new tweeters in the casing to keep the oem look? Don't want to break the casing!

Oh dear...

Which head unit were you using when they popped? OEM? I've heard of a single speaker blowing but your entire right hand side, at the same time, that kind of sounds a bit odd. Have you popped the door cards off and actually had a look at the speakers to make sure it isn't something else? You might whip the door cards off and find two aftermarket speakers that have been wired in with twist and tape or something stupid like that. If you want to test the speakers, take the door card off, check the speaker using a battery. When you connect a speaker to an AA battery, you should hear a feint click. It's a perfectly acceptable way of testing speakers and more importantly, speaker wiring. If the speaker pops when you connect it to a battery, then your fault is with your wiring and you've bought a set of speakers for nothing lol.

It's completely standard wiring and speakers, it was a sony xplod head unit,

When I turned the volume too high I heard a slight crackle then the speakers just stopped. How do I test the speakers and wiring with a meter then? Not good with electrics you see!

I've had an edge sub before and it was perfect, I've had bad experienced with fli and other makes but edge seem to be able to take a beating and the reviews were pretty much tip top. I'm obviously going to have the own grill over the speakers so I don't have an ugly orange speaker on show

Edited by Aaron_Joy

It's completely standard wiring and speakers, it was a sony xplod head unit, When I turned the volume too high I heard a slight crackle then the speakers just stopped. How do I test the speakers and wiring with a meter then? Not good with electrics you see!

I wouldn't. I would test the speakers using the battery method first. Once you know the speakers are shot, you can replace... or, once you know the speakers are good, you can work backwards and start to test the wiring. If it's just standard speakers with standard wiring, I don't know of anyone having the wire fail. In all instances of bad wiring it's been aftermarket gear.

Just read this now and i've since tried the meter on the tweeter and it's not showing any signs of life, it was strange when it happened, it's all standard gear, original speakers with pods and i haven't touched the wiring when i put the HU in, just swapped the iso connectors from the oem tape player it came with to my sony one, so looks like a made a good call with the speakers, happy i haven't just wasted 33 quid!

Thanks again Skezza! :)

Just read this now and i've since tried the meter on the tweeter and it's not showing any signs of life, it was strange when it happened, it's all standard gear, original speakers with pods and i haven't touched the wiring when i put the HU in, just swapped the iso connectors from the oem tape player it came with to my sony one, so looks like a made a good call with the speakers, happy i haven't just wasted 33 quid!

Thanks again Skezza! :)

Why didn't you just get a couple of OEM replacements? Cheaper and probably just as good (if not better).

Wow okay new problem, apparently I wasn't doing it right because the left speaker didn't have a working connection either even though it works, I plugged the non working tweeter in and not the speaker and it worked until I plugged the non working speaker in then it stopped, I tried putting the balance all the way to the right to see if any sound was coming out at all and the tweeter was very very faint and crackly and then when I put the volume up I could still faintly hear it and it stopped, now can't get the speaker or tweeter to work. So confused! Might take it to a local electrician

But I've tried 2 different units, both were the same and they're both pretty much brand new and in my fiesta st they fully work

Hmmm, this might sound a bit left field. Are they still broken now, or have they started working? Do you have an external power supply? Like a 12v power pack? I would want to test the head unit away from the cars electrical system next time they stop working. In my previous Lupo, the battery started dying after I'd owned it for about 4 years and one of the things I noticed was when the car was off, when listening to the radio, the audio would cut out randomly etc etc. Fixed with a new battery. Can't explain why.

Does sound like an electrical issue though mate, either wiring or something. That's why I told you to try the battery-speaker test, because you can guarantee for sure that the speaker is okay then can't you?