Cut springs. Good or bad?

miles904

I'm wanting to go low with my lupo and I'm at the stage of deciding if to go down the route of coilovers or lowering springs or cut springs.

Any thoughts on which is the best route will be appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's illegal. If not it can't be safe :\ springs are made to be harder to compress in the middle right? Surely if you cut them, you'd end up with a really hard spring?

I don't see the thought process here. You've obviously thought about coilovers coz you've mentioned them first, so you must be in a position to get them, so why even consider anything else if you're wanting to go low. You asked the question tho so here's the answer, go with coilovers. You can go as low as you fancy if you find the right ones.

you can't cut vw springs, old ford ones yes but not vw, they're pigtailed, which basically means they're wound smaller at the ends and when you cut them they can't sit in the cups. it was a shite idea on fords anyway .. geoff

• 2 weeks later...

safer too, well done, just remember to grease the adjusting rings. geoff

Little tip if your greasing coilovers, use a cheap paint brush and you will get a perfect coat of grease, not too much, not too little, as well as an even coat.

I always keep a cheap paint brush in my grease tub, makes greasing threads quick, easy and virtually mess free :thumbsup:

I would advise greasing the top of the struts around the nut and the hex in the shaft as my first set of coilovers rusted badly there, ended up rounding the hex, had to hammer a torx bit in to get any grip so any kind of protection to stop this is a must.