Flip key

If you go to a locksmiths (I know some timpsons do it) they can get a flip key cut and coded for about £120 and they will also recode your current key to match as well so you can keep it as a spare. They do have to order the key from vw which takes up to 10 days as it will only have the lock/unlock buttons as opposed to the lock/unlock/boot buttons. If you go to vw, they charge just under £200 to do this.

Hope this helps!

Edited by LisaGTi

If you go to a locksmiths (I know some timpsons do it) they can get a flip key cut and coded for about £120 and they will also recode your current key to match as well so you can keep it as a spare. They do have to order the key from vw which takes up to 10 days as it will only have the lock/unlock buttons as opposed to the lock/unlock/boot buttons. If you go to vw, they charge just under £200 to do this.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that, i didn't realise it would cost that much. I thought it would be possible to do myself with vagcom but maybe not. Thanks again.

If you have vagcom you should be able to do it yourself if you get the flip key. I know the transponders in the normal gti keys are a bit temperamental sometimes, and one of the leads needed to code the transponder to the car are about £40 on ebay, and to get a new blade cut for the flip key is roughly £40 to £50.

I only know this because I lost my main key and my spare key only manually opens my car so I got a flip key quoted :)

Edited by LisaGTi

You can get them on ebay but I'd be wary as certain transponders refuse to work with certain models. If I were you I wouldn't run the risk, just get one from a main dealer as at least they will be able to make sure you get the right one. Although, I don't know how vw dealership would feel about you not paying them for coding because you could do it yourself. They charge £90 for coding alone.

Edited by LisaGTi

Just done mine and it cost about 25 quid, go on ebay and buy a second hand flip key, either 2 or 3 button , it has been said that the three button can be activated for the boot on the gti udsing vagcom. I paid less than a tenner for a mint three button one, use the key programming method and it should then work the central locking, go back on ebay and find the guy that cuts new flip key blanks , cost about 15 quid, then carefully take key apart fit new blade, then very carefully strip your old key and remove the transponder chip, looks like a grain of rice, and fit in new flip key. Car will now unlock and run with new key

Just done mine and it cost about 25 quid, go on ebay and buy a second hand flip key, either 2 or 3 button , it has been said that the three button can be activated for the boot on the gti udsing vagcom. I paid less than a tenner for a mint three button one, use the key programming method and it should then work the central locking, go back on ebay and find the guy that cuts new flip key blanks , cost about 15 quid, then carefully take key apart fit new blade, then very carefully strip your old key and remove the transponder chip, looks like a grain of rice, and fit in new flip key. Car will now unlock and run with new key

Lovely cheers for that, i will have a go and report back once done.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...