Scangauge Owners get in this thread

Dblock

IMG_0430_zps7f36cb42.jpg

Pull the socket out into the footwell. Plug in the scangauge, and then push all the wiring back up into the gap behind the heater controls :)

That doesn't sound too hard. The main reason I asked is obviously it's still pretty important to retain some access to OBD in case of VAGCOM or whatever. However I think I'll have a pop at that and mount it tonight.

Once you unclipped it, how did you pull it into the footwell, was it a case of jamming your hand down the back of the central column?

Jon what's the weather like there. My car is getting to 88c and no more but it's frosty ATM. I have just changed the stat but I don't know why it's so cold considering the block.

Skezza you need to block that ASAP. 69c is cold. Block it up till your temps get near 89c and see if mpg improves.

Jon what's the weather like there. My car is getting to 88c and no more but it's frosty ATM. I have just changed the stat but I don't know why it's so cold considering the block.

Skezza you need to block that ASAP. 69c is cold. Block it up till your temps get near 89c and see if mpg improves.

What's the routine for blocking then? Do you put something behind the grill or in front? I think this explains quite a lot tbh.

Edited by Skezza

What's the routine for blocking then? Do you put something behind the grill or in front? I think this explains quite a lot tbh.

I put something infront as its easier to remove. If you have a lupo pipe insulation cut in half might be ok?

It's been around 3 degC really, no colder.

I wonder why yours gets hot. Actually it could just be I smash the heater when it's cold. But saying that I had it on hottest but no fans and it was still 88-89c. Jon no blocking or anything to the radiator is there?

I put something infront as its easier to remove. If you have a lupo pipe insulation cut in half might be ok?

What's ideal? Some clear plastic? What do you hold them with? Cable ties?

What's ideal? Some clear plastic? What do you hold them with? Cable ties?

Just wedge em in. When I'm on the pc il get you some links. Oh also please let me know how the Y splitter works once it comes. That would be ideal for me.

I'm not sure. There is a test with gph you can do.

been told it's probably diesela. Anyway, what's the crack with grill blocking? It was 69 again tonight.

What MPG are you guys getting, then? I'm interested in your figures:

35MPH in 5th (Alot of flat roads around here)

55MPH

70MPH

Also, why the heck does my temp never raise above 82 degrees?! Even in the summer. Iv'e looked all over for a better thermostat but can't find one for the tdi. Are they just generic or something?

been told it's probably diesela. Anyway, what's the crack with grill blocking? It was 69 again tonight.

Ok so here is a few picture but google will give you better results. Basically cut the pipe insulation in half and stuff it in. Either on the slats or better is inbetween the slats IMO.

p1060639.jpg

p1060642.jpg

Inbetween

Civic_GrillBlock1.jpg

What MPG are you guys getting, then? I'm interested in your figures:

35MPH in 5th (Alot of flat roads around here)

55MPH

70MPH

Also, why the heck does my temp never raise above 82 degrees?! Even in the summer. Iv'e looked all over for a better thermostat but can't find one for the tdi. Are they just generic or something?

Could be your thermostat is gone or maybe your just not driving for long or fast enough? Alot of variables.

I wonder why yours gets hot. Actually it could just be I smash the heater when it's cold. But saying that I had it on hottest but no fans and it was still 88-89c. Jon no blocking or anything to the radiator is there?

91C was what the Scangauge said was the max, it normally sits at 89. I have no grill blocking - it's totally standard.

I fitted a new genuine thermostat a couple of years ago as it started taking longer to warm up. It made no difference. Turned out the decat seems to make it take longer to warm up. Presumably due to less backpressure and therefore less load on the engine at low rpm's.

Like you say you must smash the heater, I rarely have mine past half way.

I'm going to fit my grill block in a bit, I'll take photos. I bought 22mm pipe insulation instead of 15mm. The 15mm looked a little bit on the small side but I'm thinking perhaps I should have got it instead.

I think I should have bought 15mm pipe insulation. Mine felt too big really, and I ended up having to break some of it to jam it in. Some even fell through :\ and I'm half expecting most of this to fall off on the way home. Oh well, homebase is selling pipe insulation, 5 pieces for about £3. The smaller is £2.50 ish, I can always rip this off and get a few more other pieces in the smaller size.

36sd.jpg

I've also bought a Halfords antifreeze tester, £1.99, one of these crappy floaty ball ones. Going to give my anti-freeze a quick check when I get chance. I did check it earlier but I think I did the test wrong as there's a bit of air in the top of the pipe.

OK well, my first two long drives with a grill block. The left (as you look at the picture) single piece fell off lol but turns out there isn't any actual vents there so not sure why I put a block lol :D I'm not even sure there's vents on the right either haha.

The first thing I noticed was the car definitely warms up a lot quicker. It's now more like how my petrol used to warm up. Before the grill block it would take a few miles before I noticed the temp gauge even started moving but now within a mile or two, it's already where it would normally sit. Secondly, the ambient temperature in the car is definitely warmer. Normally I don't have the heater on, but I do have the heater control set to hot, but last night it got a bit too warm in the cabin so I had to set it to half. Not a big thing, just worth noting. I reckon on a really really really cold day those heaters will feel amazing as they must be blowing hotter air :D

So, I was getting roughly 69 degrees average before when doing my standard route to work, mostly 60mph, couple of 30 zones through my town centre and then the town I work in. Driving home last night, the car quickly got up to 86 degrees, continued to gradually rise and eventually stopped at about 89 to 90. As I slowed down through the town, it got to 93 degrees and then I pulled up. One thing I noticed, the fan at the front of the car was whirring when I got out but stopped after about 10 seconds. It's never been on before, I'm actually surprised it still works lol. So yeah, peaked at 93 but spent most of it's time at about 89.

Driving in today was more interesting though. The car quickly got up to 86 again, and slowly rose to 90 as I expected. The highest it got when moving at speed was 92 when I was doing about 50mph however it dropped back to 90 as soon as I overtook the truck holding me up. Here's where it gets weird though. As I got to the town where I work, there was more traffic than usual so I knew the engine temp would rise as I crawled through. I wasn't too concerned, but I was keeping an eye on the coolant temp in case it got a bit too hot. It rose up to 94 and stopped... then it ticked for a second onto 95 degrees and immediately plummeted to about 86 degrees. I thought that's odd, perhaps a piece of grill block has fallen off. However, further on as I was about to park up, I waited till it hit 95 again and yup, sure thing, it dropped to 86 degrees within seconds.

So is that the thermostat kicking in or the fan or what? It seems a bit late for the thermostat and a bit harsh too, but surely the fan wouldn't make anywhere near that kind of difference. There's no way a fan can shift 9 degrees in a few seconds... is there? :paperbag: Perhaps a bloody industrial fan...

It's worth noting that when I got out of the car, the coolant temp was probably 86 degrees and the fan wasn't running, so surely that all points to the thermostat kicking in very late? Any other reason why it would lose nearly 9 degrees of heat so quickly?