Scangauge Owners get in this thread

Dblock

It will be the fan running causing the sudden temp drop. I'd guess the coolant temp sensor is located downstream of the radiator outlet pipe and so it will see a sudden drop in temp when the fan comes on.

The diesel's have a big radiator, with a large surface area. Blasting air through it will remove a lot of heat very quickly!

OK, so part one of my Scangauge install. I only had about an hour of time today, so I decided to get started. It's not been the best day luck wise. Firstly, the OBD2 Splitter cable, yep, it works, but it's not possible to run two devices off it at the same time. When I plugged in the Scangauge, it kicked the other device off, and when I plugged the other device in, it caused the Scangauge to freeze. So no, that doesn't work, but I'm fairly satisfied that it'll suit my needs as I need for diagnostics only, so really I can simply unplug the Scangauge after the screen has switched off. Not only that, when the screen goes off on a Scangauge, it disconnects from the ECU. Easy...

Secondly, the OBD port on the splitter cable was far too big, lots of unnecessary plastic, so it required some hackery to fit it into the OEM port. 5 minutes with a hacksaw, I took the two sides off and the top, which means it now slides in. It's tight, but some blu-tac padding will hold it nicely and after I rub it with some sandpaper tomorrow, I think it'll look okay.

As a note, I found releasing the OBD port from the car harder than I expected, but it does come with some persuasion.

This is so far, as you can see, I've relocated the second OBD2 port to where the OEM port sat, so I can still do diagnostic work without unplugging.

0pld.jpg

Is that a perforated gear gaiter? Did you fit that?

It is and nope, it came with the car. I quite like it, but I've not been able to find another unfortunately as it's just lately started to show signs of wear. Guess the previous owner fitted it.

Anyway, here's another photo of the OBD2 splitter cable as modified.

0wr6.jpg

I've sanded it slightly since I took this photo, just to make it look a bit nicer. I'm going to try and secure it tonight or whenever I get chance really. If it works as I hope it does, then I definitely think it's a mod worth doing when trying to fit a seamless Scangauge. I want my scangauge to look good and hidden away, but the last thing I want is to lose convenient access to the diagnostics port. Sure, while I'm doing diag work I'll have to make sure the Scangauge isn't on (or disconnected), but whats that? 5 seconds of effort? Better than crawling on the floor trying to find the original port I reckon. I'm going to work out the best way to secure it. It's a decent fit so it might only require some carefully applied blu-tac, if not, I'm thinking a couple of velcro pads. I would prefer to avoid using sticky pads as they can be a real pain to remove, but worse comes to the worse I'll use just one perhaps and make sure it's not touching a clip to avoid breaking anything.

Jesus skezza that looks a right dogs dinner ha!

Hahaha, which, the grill block horror show or the hacksawed plug haha. Regarding the plug, the original plan was to just file it down, and try and be neat as possible, but I immediately knew it would take too long lol, so I took aim with a hacksaw and 5 minutes later, it fitted lovely :D :D :D Now that it's sanded down (started with a coarse paper then switched to a fine grain), it does look a bit nicer and as most of the port sits behind the line of sight there really won't be any way you can tell once it's fitted. The cable cost a fiver so I really don't care too much that it's a bit butchered, so long as I can keep my access to the OBD2 port behind the ash tray. Once it's fitted and I can confirm that it does what it's meant to do I'm pretty sure it's a worth it mod.

To be fair, I could have hacked the underside instead of the topside, but I realized it might look a bit weird having all the extra plastic above, and also make it harder as I think the two clips are at the top. Doing the topside means you can't really tell the other side is there, as you can see from the first photo I uploaded.

Regarding the grill block... well, it's only going to be there for a month or two :D :D

Edited by Skezza

It's all about the efficiency though lol. You should see mine!

Skezza increase in mpg yet? Also I'm looking into those clear plastic wfeel covers to reduce drag too.

I'd say a slight increase, although I won't know until tomorrow filling up. I'm guessing most of the benefits are when the car is still warming up right? Just going on the fuel gauge I'd say there has been a slight increase, however you know what VW gauges are like, it might be better than it's telling me right now :D I'm thinking I might make a slight hole as it's getting up to 95 degrees now. Is that too hot?

Regarding the wheel covers to reduce drag, someone on VW Vortex did that with a golf and got a surprisingly noticeable MPG increase. Could be worth it!! Would they be custom made?

Edited by Skezza

Finished my ashtray slave OBD2 port install, secured and working well so far. The OEM port is plugged into the splitter cable, and the other port is currently sitting behind the heater controls waiting for the Scangauge to be plugged in. I have a feeling that isn't going to be as easy as I'm hoping, but we'll see. I'm thinking the best way is to plug the Scangauge in first then route the cable, as opposed to routing the cable then trying to plug in.

Anyway, here it is, car needs a proper clean I know!!!:

6snx.jpg

Kind of wish it was the same colour as OEM, then I reckon you couldn't tell, but I can't complain :)

Edited by Skezza

I got a modest 68MPG on my fillup. Not bad considering I tend to put my foot down.

The aftermarket OBD2 port is working well, although the velcro isn't as secure as I'd hoped. I've done both sides now to see if that improves it. If not, I might have to resort to the dreaded sticky back pads. Ewww.

Scangauge install complete, my word, it was harder than I expected, got a couple of cuts as reward for my persistence but there we go. Being totally honest, I'm not sure it was worth an hours worth of pain and suffering just to keep access to my OBD2 port behind the ashtray, but hey, I've done it, and who knows? I might be running this car for a few years yet and say yep, in hindsight was worth it. Removing it shouldn't be quite as hard but hey, it's done now lol :)

So as I said, the plan originally was to work backwards, that isn't going to happen, you can't fit the OBD2 port in the space behind the centre console, so you'll need to feed it through and this is where I struggled. The problem is the space under the heater controls was too little... so I decided to see if I could go from above by removing the plastic trim above the pedals. Nope, no access. In desperation, and as a last resort before giving up, I unscrewed the heater controls and moved them back and up slightly. With that, I had just enough access to feed the cable through and pull it out at the other end underneath the trim connecting the centre console to the footwell plastic trim. That is held together by like a wedge clip, but if you pulled it hard enough, it opens, and then you can feed the cable up so it's fairly seamless. I then ran the cable along where I fitted the RCL and then round past the fuse box and up the steering column and into my line of sight.

I'm using dblocks current set up of AVG, MPG, Air Intake Temp, Coolant Temp.

qtvh.jpgMoved heater controls enabling me to fit my hand under the gap. Be careful feeding the wire through, there's some padding and insulation, try to catch as little as possible.

squt.jpg

So once unclipped I fed it up, as you can see so it now comes out the top.

yott.jpg

The only bit of visible wire, I couldn't feed it under the rubber flaps.

xv74.jpg

Feeding up the steering column.

v3j4.jpg

So I now need to decide do I sit it in front but it's at a slightly angle left or right, or sit flush but have the wire sticking out the side.

eiei.jpg

66o5.jpg

My other OBD2 port working.

b7yl.jpg

War scars :D

Edited by Skezza

So my Scangauge is currently reading ridiculous numbers out to me. Currently, it thinks I'm averaging roughly 300mpg, which I'm pretty sure is wrong ;) My only thought is that it's because I haven't done the first and second fillup yet, but this is my problem. Currently, when I click Fillup, as it's my first Fillup it should say 0 right? It says 135 gallons. Confused.com. Anyway, I'm going to try and see if I can sort it by going the station, filling up, using it, then filling up again. Must be worth a shot.

What settings do you have for stuff like tank size etc?

Oh and it's Diesela

Edit:

Also, Dblock, Jon, have either of you sent yours for an upgrade, mine is running 3.16 :@ which is 2010. Scangauges currently use 4.06. An upgrade is £25 from these geezers: http://www.ukobd.co.uk/ but I've never heard of them and I've just paid a fair whack for this lol. Plus, I'm not sure the new features are of benefit e.g. Boost gauge etc

Edited by Skezza

I think I have the tank size set to 7 gallons as that's usually closest to what it takes to fill. After a few fillups the tank mpg should sort itself out.

Awesome, what about the upgrade?

I was not aware of that, mine still used version 3.16. I have heard of them before, I think that's where mine came from although I originally imported one from the states years ago for someone else. I wonder if there is a way to upgrade it ourselves rather than send it off.

I was not aware of that, mine still used version 3.16. I have heard of them before, I think that's where mine came from although I originally imported one from the states years ago for someone else. I wonder if there is a way to upgrade it ourselves rather than send it off.

Not sure, I read online it requires a new logic board to do the upgrade. :surprised: Which is ridiculously short-sighted and awful for the environment, unless they simply re-package the old logic boards and then sell them on which is weird :paperbag: . No idea. I've contacted Linear-Logic to see if they offer UK upgrade services and at what cost.

If you're on 3.16, you're on the same as me. Have you worked out how to change the currency? I can't :\

Turns out currencies were added later:

- The ScanGaugeII now has a performance feature that allows you to record your vehicle's short trips and lets you go back and view 0-60 times, stopping times and distance.

- The engineers have designed a new menu systems that is easy to navigate and also a new user manual which is much easier to understand than the original

- The new software has corrected some minor bugs that were in the previous software, such as finding certain trouble codes (on rare occasion, some vehicles would display a P0000 code reading on the ScanGaugeII).

- There is now more enhanced X-Gauge capability

- Changes were made to units and now the ScanGaugeII can display KPL (kilometers per liter) and inches of mercury for the manifold reading.

- Currencies were added and now the ScanGaugeII can display Pounds, Euros, Yen, US dollars, and Yuan

- A feature was added that allows you to calibrated the ScanGaugeII in order to figure out boost [(if you vehicles reports MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure)] and horsepower.

- Average miles per gallon (AVG) and Trip Fuel Cost (TFC) were added as standard gauges

- A minor protocol (CAN long ID) glitch was fixed

- The compatibility issue between the SG2 and Mercedes Benz vehicles was resolved.

To be fair, the only thing there that I think applies to me is the currency really. I mean, 0-60 on an SDI? Lol. Stopping times kind of sounds interesting but then, I'm not sure why :-\ I've always thought my brakes were naff though lol. Haven't had the trouble code bug so can't say it's an issue. Also apparently the new menu looks easier from YouTube. No idea what X-Gauge is. KPL... I guess that's for Australia? Boost? Hehe, don't think so :P To be fair, mine already has the AVG, no idea if it has TFC though.

Anyway, as I said, I've e-mailed them and am just waiting for a reply. I found another website that seems to suggest the UKOBD place is an authorized retailer, so I imagine they're going to say that's the place to go :) I've only had it installed a day :D

Edited by Skezza

Xgauge lets you program in your own readings for anything else that the ECU reports. I added boost using xgauge, it just takes the MAP reading and subtracts 14.7 to give the boost gauge pressure. Same goes for average miles per gallon.

Not sure it it's worth upgrading just for 0-60 times although I would be quite interested to time it! The currency being in $ never really bothered me. Will have to check out the new menu system on youtube.

I'm pleased to see that they are still developing the product though. Certainly one of the best additions I have made to the car. It's must have paid for itself just in the fuel I've saved!

They're sending me the newest circuit board for 25 dollars (£15) which means I get to keep the old one lol. Does mean I have to fit it myself though.

Pretty impressive service mind.

That said, still not sure it's worth it lol... have barely tried this one lol.

Edited by Skezza

They're sending me the 4.13 version. I've decided pay lol. Why not eh? Can keep the old board as a spares :) Plus, the 4.13 version hasn't even been released in this country yet, we're still on 4.06. May as well get the benefits :D

They're sending me the 4.13 version. I've decided pay lol. Why not eh? Can keep the old board as a spares :) Plus, the 4.13 version hasn't even been released in this country yet, we're still on 4.06. May as well get the benefits :D

Ahh that's why then. I got mine from the US.

New scangauge board came today. They only posted it last Friday. Impressive.

They chucked in the new instructions, installation guide plus a car sticker.