Scangauge Owners get in this thread

Dblock

So I was kindly given a scangauge 2. Looks nice. Can't wait to mess around with all the features.

But where are you guys mouting them and how are you routing the cable? I want it to look as stealth as possible but I'm not ripping out the dash or anything silly.

Cheers guys :-)

bit off tack , but my mate has one of these in his monster focus st and he swears by it. thoroughly impressive piece of kit. when I first saw it I thought it was just another toy but I will publicly admit I was wrong about it. unfortunately I can't afford one, jealous. geoff

bit off tack , but my mate has one of these in his monster focus st and he swears by it. thoroughly impressive piece of kit. when I first saw it I thought it was just another toy but I will publicly admit I was wrong about it. unfortunately I can't afford one, jealous. geoff

If you get it from the US it shouldn't be too much plus its with you for a long time. You can use it in most cars

I've been toying with getting one, you can tell it to turn the engine fan on and all sorts

Yeah different people use it for different things. Like boost, oil temps etc. For me MPG and coolant temperature are my mains things lol.

I'm thinking about putting it above the heater controls and just taking the little tray bit out as it come straight off.

I must admit, being as I'm focused on MPG I've been considering a Scan Gauge myself. I tried Torque's MPG calculator but its crap and particularly inaccurate. It's results flutter and the final average is usually way off.

The two I'm looking at are the ScanGauge II and the ScanGauge E. The two are aimed at different audiences. The E model appears to be aimed at the casual eco terrorist. Rather than giving lots of numbers and meaningless data, it gives you just your MPG and a graph plotting recently collected data. The II model is for the more committed eco terrorist. It provides lots of data and even monitors your ECU for fault codes. I've also heard it can act as a shift light but not sure how that works, if it gives the optimum rev range to shift or if you set it manually.

Think I'll probably buy the ScanGauge II. I'm not a particularly committed eco terrorist but I think I'd prefer the detail as opposed to the abstract sounding graph.

Also beware of fakes.

Edited by Skezza

The e although aimed differently and cheaper is still a smaller less powerful version. Smaller display too but it's still good.

ATM I have instant mpg average mpg for current trip boost and coolant temperature. The gauge in the car is a liar! Last night it was 1c or below. My car was at 88 on the dual carrigeway but dropped to about 75c round town.more grill blocking needed.

How does it calculate the mpg? Have you checked it by working it out?

The gauge is dampened, so as long as the actual temp stays between about 75 to 105 the gauge will show 90, to stop people flapping

The gauge is dampened, so as long as the actual temp stays between about 75 to 105 the gauge will show 90, to stop people flapping

No idea, but whatever algorithm Torque uses is absolutely piss poor. It told me I was getting about 40mpg to the gallon when I was getting nearer 60. I think it's okay for petrols, but it can't seem to work out diesels.

I think that's because us smelly diesel types aren't supposed to be concerned about anything but mpg, but wake up petrolheads, we're here and we want to be past haaa ha ha. geoff

Not had a full tank yet and it only does it per journey so I would need to brim the tank drive and then fill up to see but the instant mpg shows you which way to drive is the most efficient.

I know about the gauge but its terrible if you want your car up to temperature. My brothers car only gets to 80c max and his mpg is worse than mine.

on your TDI and SDI's on the motorway or long stretch of straight road, you come across a downwards slope, so you let off throttle and in gear coast.

does your car loose enough heat for the temp gauge to start moving right down? say to about a quarter

might try this grill blocking lark. my MK2 does this, its eerily efficient, i drove a good 20 miles to college last year and it hadent reached optimum temperature as i had the heaters on full to defrost my numb cold hands. at the time i put it down to thermostat, but i never bothered it and its fine normally. just in the cold its slow.

i even downsized the rad, but in all fairness the old one was corroded, leaking etc so was not the best, and the shiney new one is well.... new.

No, before when I came into town it went to about a quarter so replaced thermostat and coolant temperature sensor. I take it you mk2 won't have obd2 lol.

Obviously you want to get it to the right temperature and not over heat. So I blocked off s small portion but it needs more. The mk2 may have a winter kit you can get for it with little sliders to let more or less air in. Otherwise pipe insulation or vinyl will do the trick.

The tdi is good on fuel but by making it work the most efficient way it should be great on fuel.

I'd like to know how much of a difference grill blocking makes to an SDI, especially as they take forever to warm up. Would we see an increase in MPG in city driving only? Surely when driving down a motorway, there needs to be some air travelling through the engine bay?

I'd also like to know how Scangauge deals with different wheels. Most of us have different sized wheels/tyres to stock and if Scanguage can't compensate for the difference, then surely it'll read way too high or way too low?

Edited by Skezza

I'd like to know how much of a difference grill blocking makes to an SDI, especially as they take forever to warm up. Would we see an increase in MPG in city driving only? Surely when driving down a motorway, there needs to be some air travelling through the engine bay?

I'd also like to know how Scangauge deals with different wheels. Most of us have different sized wheels/tyres to stock and if Scanguage can't compensate for the difference, then surely it'll read way too high or way too low?

My SDI is 14 years old and takes no time to warm up? Must just be lucky :tongueout:

On the tdi it struggles to keep warm. Even on the dual carriage way. IMO if you have a scangauge then monitor the temp and add more grill block as you need it.

I have one of those liquid gauge thingies in my Leon, awesome bit of kit for what it is really, but it sounds like the scanguage you lot are on about has a few different functions, mines more boost oriented, n75 status and values, coolant temp, boost pressure, engine fault codes etc.

I have one of those liquid gauge thingies in my Leon, awesome bit of kit for what it is really, but it sounds like the scanguage you lot are on about has a few different functions, mines more boost oriented, n75 status and values, coolant temp, boost pressure, engine fault codes etc.

Sounds fairly similar not sure the scangauge can do the n75 status but it can read and clear codes etc etc.

my MK2 has no ECU.

and my Sdi took ages to warm mind..

might block off a few slats at a time..

IMO thats the best way to do it. Just block a few see how you get on then do more or less.

I just added a bigger grill block but I now thing air is getting in as its going behind the lino as max coolant temp was 89c and then went back to 88c even though I've blocked most of it off! More cable ties is the way forward lol,.

I don't know what difference it would make but it makes a difference on both motorway and city. City is easy driving so it stays cold but if your doing 70mph and its 0c outside that air is going to cool the engine down too. There will always be air traveling through the engine bay from different sources and you only need to block off enough to keep the coolant at temperature. Staying at 70mph takes very little bhp so its not being super taxed either.

I'm sure there is a correction factor built in for mpg speed etc etc but TBH thats something for me to look into once I've got the car super hot.