What are the differences between lowering springs and coilovers?

chewy_lupo

On a basic level there are 3 options:

Lowering Springs - Springs that are shorter than standard usually in 30mm, 50mm or 60mm drops. Can be had for about £60 and will go on standard dampeners (some people say they will blow them but I ran them for a year with no issues). You are sacrificing ride quality for a slightly lower ride height.

Lowering Spring Kits - These kits come with aftermarket springs and struts which provide better handling over lowering springs and stock dampeners. You can pay anything from £100-600 for these kits as they come in a variety of brands. Some of the best cars I've driven are on quality shocks and spring kits as apposed to budget coilovers. These kits have shocks that are designed for shorter springs meaning a reduced stroke etc

Coilovers - Are an all in one adjustable suspension setup. I'm going to assume you know what they are but in a nutshell they offer adjustable rideheight and adjustable dampening depending on the brand. Some of the big names in coilovers both budget and pro are JOM, TA Texhnix, Weitec, KW etc. Coilovers are tailor made for the car offering adjustable ride height to dial in the perfect setup and cost anywhere from £200 - £1000. Budget coilovers can be had for as little as £200 and will allow you to lower your car 100mm+ but you will seriously suffer in terms of ride comfort and handling. If you want the best of both worlds a set of KWs are your best bet but be prepared to spend the money.

You may want to check out the Definitive Coilover Thread http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/48860-definitive-coilover-thread/

If you want to run your car 'low' coilovers are your best option. If you want performance on a budget and your not too bothered about ride height I'd recommend a quality spring and damepner kit such as Bilstein.

Hope that helps