no glow plug light

Hi all,

Just picked up a 2002 seat arosa TDI. Nice and tidy and will be perfect for the wife's commute, (bit jealous actually!!)

Anyway, I realised earlier there is no glow plug light, the car starts and drives fine and the brake lights work as well.

I scanned it with my vagcom and I get a 16955/p0571 error - brake light switch, implausible signal.

Is it still the switch that is bad like I have read in so many other vag family forum posts? Its just I haven't found anyone else with the same fault.

Almost seems as though the Bulb for the glow plug has been removed.

Edited by pkrboo

we have a 1.7 sdi with no glow plug light. I recently rewired the car with an interior loom (not the engine compartment). the glow plugs still work ok but my snap on interrogator says faulty glow plug relay. I don't worry about it too much, just turn the car to ign position, leave for a minute and then crank the engine. gives the glow plugs the chance to do their stuff and starts every time. I have checked the glow plug system, it comes on and goes off so I think I may be missing a connection somewhere, i may get round to sorting it out someday. by the way the brake light switch controls all sorts of things, but make sure you get the updated version (there have been several).

I don't think you can remove the bulb for the glow plug, the clock is a sealed unit. geoff

Funny - VW parts guy insisted our 2001 Lupo TDI did not have one either (even though I had it with me with 109 clearly stamped on the side)?

Did they claim you need a 601 ?

The brake light switch and glow plug light are related btw.

If you're changing it yourself remember to watch a youtube video to educate on how the locking mechanism works.

• 7 months later...

ok so to update this: i got some new arosa clocks and low and behold i have a glow plug light that now works, only problem is it stays on flashing as i have the same fault.

1 Fault Found:

16955 - Brake Switch (F)

P0571 - 35-00 - Implausible Signal

Readiness: 0 0 X X X

Now I am wondering if the readiness is a possible issue, just not sure what the 5 characters mean.

VCDS shows the brake switch changing from a 0 to a 1 when looking at the cruise control monitoring. Also i think the PO changed the brake light switch

It has had Lupo lights put on would this cause these issues?

Anyone got any ideas as to where to go next?

Had a proper look tonight and found the plug for the top blue switch was disconnected!! Re connected it but no change. I was using measuring blocks 006 in VCDS, to check the change in state. Should have 0 0 0 when no pedals pressed but the middle one was always a 1 so looked like this 0 1 0. The plunger was going in far enough to activate/deactivate the switch. Resulting in them implausible signal. Last two 0's should always be the same so either 0 0 0 or 0 1 1.

So in measure blocks 006, cruise control pedal monitoring, this is what you should see when everything is OK

0 0 0 = no pedals pressed

1 0 0 = clutch pressed only

0 1 1 = brake pedal pressed only

1 1 1 = all pedals pushed

All good now. Just have to wait another 5000 miles and I can put the replacement clocks in which will fix the glow plug light and the clock segments.

So the fix for the fault is above

The fix for my particular problem of having no glow plug light is to change the clocks as the light is either broken or been disabled.

Edited by pkrboo