Lupo 1.4s 1999/2000 Lambda Issue HELP!

Hudson93

Hello my first thread on this forum!

So recently just purchased my new lupo and noticed it drank alot of fuel at idle (about quarter of a tank it i was stationary for around 30-45mins!

borrowed a friends diagnostic lead and software and

"no signal to lambda"

"coolant temp sensor"(easily done!)

explains the juicyness!

so looked under the car and the lambda is there but all the wires have been broken! guessing the road ripped it off(its VERY low)

so i have enough wire on the lambda to repair it with some repair cable however where in the engine bay is the plug for the lambda sensor?

has a 4 branch manifold and a decat but the lambda is mounted a fair way back like on the centre section...

is there a precat and post cat?

or because its an early model does it only have one?

if someone could be so kind to answer my questions it would be much appreciated :)

Lee

The 16 valve engines got a precat included in the manifold, it's directly inside where the 4 original manifold channels end into.

There sits the first lambda its plug got only a 10 inch wire and is located in a bracket on down end of manifold heat plate , the second cat/ main cat is the one underneath your car.

Edited by EvoRox

I would have thought your engine light would have been on with lambda faults,

does everything that should light up and go out on the dash?

The ecu should default to base settings if the lambda reading goes wrong , not sure why it would drink excessive fuel .

What colour are the plugs ?

Edited by Bigplum

Well the cheeky sod took the bulb out -_-

Ok i think i know what plug is for the precat ,

Wheres the postcat plug? At the back?

Im guessing il need to drill into the manifold and fit a lambda then

As i have a 4 branch which doesnt appear to have a hole for it

The plugs i havent checked but im guessing they will be black

The engine thinks its cold all the time = more fuel

Doesnt know the oxygen readings of gases =its confused!

Hence the poor fuel consumption!

Other than that i hava a low voltage error code to ecu

Injector 1 and 2 but the wire had been repaired so he may not have cleared the codes afte he fixed it....they work fine so must be the case

So the pre cat is underneath battery tray area which ive found just the other one now any ideas?

Post cat lambda fits just after the cat , it reads the difference in oxygen from the pre cat one and checks the cat is working.

Are you sure there is not a blanking plug in the manifold?

The wire connections are special high temperature ones , Vw sell a short length of repair wiring

Good reading here. http://www.picoauto.com/applications/lambda-sensor.html

Pretty sure I've seen weld on lambda bosses on eBay or go to a scrappy and chop one out

Edited by Bigplum

the post cat one is fitted just the wires ripped out , just need to know what plug the wires go to

its a decat also

and just checked and theres nooo blanking plug

looks like il have to weld one in il post a picture of the manifold to make it easyier?

There should be a socket nearby , often inside a plastic box or do you mean the wires have just pulled out the plug? ,

Until both are connected you won't get any real sense out of ecu anyway, but it would either use base/ default settings or go into limp mode . Is the manifold aftermarket ? I have a feeling the lambda goes in the downpipe ( that goes to the cat) , so if its decat'd the sensors won't play anyway, what year is the car ? It'll be a swine to get a mot on it without a cat.

The joys of buying a modified car :)

Edited by Bigplum

there is about 10cm of wire coming from the lambda probe but need to find the socket they go to il have to have a look soon , its a bugger even getting it on stands , (my jack isnt low enough and have to drive it onto wood or similar ) i do believe its aftermarket or off an older car with the same stud pattern with the cat underneath , no lambda boss on downpipe either!) its a Vreg so very early model , and i know some friendly mot garages..........i know right!!

Just fyi I have a 1999 1.4s and it has a 4 branch manifold with no lambda, only one at the cat in the centre of the car, I also have no engine management light, this is how the early models were I believe, don't know if it helps or not.

Tom