Lupo Gti 1.8t project

Mr.Badbrains

Turned out that those Oz´s were just 7.5j and 8j (I was told they were half an inch wider). Anyway, I disassembled them and started sanding the faces.

12908400553_002ea8270e.jpg

My original idea was just to sand and polish those flat surfaces and leave all hard-to-reach parts black. But paint started to chip off everywhere as I sanded, so I decided to use some paint stripper first.

Polishing those gaps between all the spokes would be such a pita, so maybe I’m going to paint them again with silver.

Also, throwing those lips from back to front wheels, and ordered some 3'' lips for back, so they are going to be 8j & 9j next season.

And some oem goodies came from the dealer...

12340457485_27d46cabcf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile in Finland...

13166902104_93ac9ec98c.jpg
Who needs powertools when you have a hacksaw blade and no idea what you're doing.

My bodyshop didn't want to smooth my bumper, too much work they said. So I decided to give it a shot. Cut of the licence plate recess and then I bought some sheet of pp plastic to be welded in place. Should do the job.

• 1 month later...

I started to assemble the wheels the other day and man were they pain! Because of the thickness of powder coat nothing fit in place.

Then this happened:

13934501053_780f264319.jpg

13934890394_c9658c7f77.jpg

The guy who sandblasted these didn’t do so good job on protecting the threads. Unfortunately I realised that too late and snapped a bolt in one hole. There was left some very hard tiny metal? beads in bottom of the threads witch caused bolt snapping.

Luckily I got the remainings out and two thread taps and few helicoils later, I got them assembled. (Pics coming later.)

Meanwhile I bought some 3M Scotchprint brushed steel vinyl for interior panels. Few more things still need to be wrapped.

13911330916_bc540a72e4.jpg

Wiped all that annoying dust from heater vents while they were off.

13934500173_f4fc44f16d.jpg

Front bumper is coming along nicely. Welded and filled the licence plate recess with my friend. Came out pretty good for a first timer.

13935935814_4163103d8b.jpg

Also some camber shims are waiting for install, so I shouldn’t have too much clearance issues.

13934453735_469743e2bd.jpg

Some hook&loop tape to attach rear licence plate and obviously brand new shorter plates without holes drilled in them.

13912609036_01f2d6f464.jpg

Few pics of rm´s. Lips are polished with Mothers and barrels/faces sealed with Bouncers Fortify.

Billet flat caps bought second hand and polished.

Centre caps are original, just wet sanded and polished.

13912355871_ec7bd87d0e.jpg

13912371812_0f6402ee36.jpg

Edited by Mr.Badbrains

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cheers guys! Appreciate it.

Clock on my cluster died some time ago. Luckily this Jjjkkk guy had a spare cluster from his other wrecked Lupo, so now I have two Gti clusters. Just switched clocks and soldered leds from old to new clock.

Then I managed to get myself a sheet of polarizing foil and did the inverted display mod on cluster while it was apart again. Have to say it looks a lot better now!

14071001148_7b858d7438_c.jpgInverted displays by L Myyry, on Flickr

Wanted to mach the OEM Gamma radios display to everything else, so, you know, some more soldering and polarize foil...

14071069717_389700146f_c.jpgGamma Radio by L Myyry, on Flickr

I would like it just a tad lower, but bump stops and adjusters removed from back, I really can't. And right drive shaft is rubbing on frame anyway...

14257647475_03b15856b3_c.jpgDoes My Bum Look Big In This? by L Myyry, on Flickr

Man it looks brilliant! Makes the cluster looks so modern. Love it.

I don't think you have take shots for when you inverted the Gamma unit, have you? I have bought a Gamma unit and plan to change it before i install it. Is it hard to swap them?

Edited by Danyutz

• 2 weeks later...

Man it looks brilliant! Makes the cluster looks so modern. Love it.

I don't think you have take shots for when you inverted the Gamma unit, have you? I have bought a Gamma unit and plan to change it before i install it. Is it hard to swap them?

Sorry missed your reply somehow. Here is some photos I managed to take. https://www.flickr.com/photos/l_myyry/sets/72157645078199155/

Hope this helps, it's wery self explanatory when you get there.