Volkswagen Lupo 1.0L central locking problem

lupo462

hi, ive just recently brought a 1.0L Volkswagen lupo, but there seems to be a problem with my central locking. Its a 2002 and has just a standard key with no fob. When I unlock my drivers door the passenger door and boot dont unlock with it. Not a major problem but its annoying when you have too keep going round the car unlocking and locking all the doors and boot separatly. I have changed the fuse and it made no change. When I unlock my drivers door I can hear like an electrical whining noise. Anyone know whats wrong with it, how I can fix this or if this is a silly standard thing volkswagen did to the lupo? Cheers

Hmm, I'll be honest, a 1.0E with central locking is rare, unless it's been fitted after the event. It was quite an expensive optional extra, several hundred pounds if I remember. Does it have the OEM switches in the door, or are they non-standard? If it's an aftermarket kit, god knows how you go about fixing it because those kits are all a bit of a bodge really. They last as long as they do, then went something goes you have to replace all of it.

If it's a genuine VW CL, I'm sure we'll be able to help. Does your passenger door lock and unlock?

Faulty door lock , I'd put money on it, there was a batch of locks with poorly soldered connections on the inside of the lock,

It affected lupo's, passats and golfs and polos , unless you some after market kit fitted.

It's repairable with a soldering iron but the lock needs to come out , bit fiddly but do-able.

You can buy the locks on eBay , but by the time you've stripped the lock out , it only takes about 10 mins to open the lock and solder it

Edited by Bigplum

yea, same fault happens with mk4 golfs, done quite a few just have to split the lock and resolder the microswitches. its fiddly but sorts the job out.

What Geoff and BigPlum says is spot on, although I disagree that it takes 10 minutes to take the lock mech apart and do it correctly lol. I'd set aside a good hour, patience is a virtue with these things. A replacement is a good alternative if you don't fancy doing any soldering.

But going back to my original point, 1.0E Lupo's with genuine VW central locking are rare. They're not unheard of, but just make sure it's not an aftermarket kit. To put it into context, I've seen plenty of 1.0E with aftermarket kits, but I've never seen one with OEM central locking. If it's an aftermarket kit, you might struggle to fix it without replacing the entire kit.