Lupo sport gearbox....sigh

Cassidylupo

Hi guys just a quick question really, My bearing are going on the sport gearbox and i know i have to replace it, my question is would it be cheaper to go with my quote of £500 for all work and repairing my box or buy a second hand box get them to give that the once over and fit that instead decisions decisions any help will be appreciated thanks

I got a new one refurb'd well kinda. It was from a non sport. Much better IMO. I lost that pep a little in town but sitting on the dual carriageway doing just 3k was miles better than doing 4.2k with the sport box.

Not sure if a normal 1.4 box will fit though with no mods.

I got a new one refurb'd well kinda. It was from a non sport. Much better IMO. I lost that pep a little in town but sitting on the dual carriageway doing just 3k was miles better than doing 4.2k with the sport box.

Not sure if a normal 1.4 box will fit though with no mods.

yes

They're all going to break, as long as the bearing doesn't go and the shaft doesn't smash into the casing they can always be rebuilt.

Interesting info which I'm fandomly going to leave here.

Has anyone noticed how similar a scirocco TSI gearbox looks to a Lupo GTI one?

Guess there isn't really that much of a shortage anymore . . . . . . . . .

They're all going to break, as long as the bearing doesn't go and the shaft doesn't smash into the casing they can always be rebuilt.

Interesting info which I'm fandomly going to leave here.

Has anyone noticed how similar a scirocco TSI gearbox looks to a Lupo GTI one?

Guess there isn't really that much of a shortage anymore . . . . . . . . .

That happened to mine. Apparently the bellhousing etc was cracked.

Rich you seem like an expert. A long ratio or 6 speed box for the tdi? I know you know :thumbup:

You know that I know or you know that I've thought about it ?

both.

Some snooping has found that it might be possible to change for a much longer fifth. That would be ideal. is the tdi gearbox 02J? I think it was a 0.651 ratio so at 70mph it would be sitting at 2krpm rather than 2.5krpm. Mine is mapped so should be ok.

There's a TDI gearbox on ebay at the minute if you need a spare to play with.

My bedroom is already full of car parts.

Most of the a2 guys who run 02J's get a 0.681, 0.65 or a 0.62 ratio for the 5th. So its kinda like 4 speeds and an overdrive. Perfect for me who does motorway commuting.

You mean by just removing the end cap and changing the final drive ?

Yes, however if you have a spare box you can change both the shaft bearings whilst you're at it.

No just the 5th gear ratio. Can be changed for 0.681, 0.65 or 0.622 ratio. Final drive would affect all gears no? I don't know :paperbag:

Why would I want to change the shaft bearings? Something that is prone to fail?