MFD - GPS Aerial location ?

rapidebrothers

Hi there I have recently purchased a VW MFD sat nav head unit & was wondering if anyone else who as fitted one of these could tell me where & how they have located / fitted the GPS Aerial?

Many thanks Gavin

Hi there I have recently purchased a VW MFD sat nav head unit & was wondering if anyone else who as fitted one of these could tell me where & how they have located / fitted the GPS Aerial?

Many thanks Gavin

I don't have an MFD, but I do have an in-car GPS unit in my dash, currently, I have the GPS receiver mounted on the dash just next to the passenger airbag. I am intending on feeding it eventually down through behind the cig socket though, underneath the foam above the passenger footwell then up past the door trim and hopefully mounting it next to the passenger tweeter as I reckon that's the most appropriate place.

This is the GPS unit for the receiver for the sat nav needing advice on where to fit it & how to run the cable to the back of the unit so the MFD can be pushed back into the slot!

null_zps3d2db1e1.jpg

When I fitted my DAB aerial it was pretty easy to run the cable out the back of the DIN slot and underneath the dash area in the passenger footwell and up into where the passenger heater vent is you should be able to thread it up into the passenger tweeter area. Just using string and pokey sticks etc. I'm not sure how thick that cable is or how long it is but it might be possible you could mount it on the ceiling. Although you would have to screw it into the ceiling somehow, my DAB aerial was a stick on the windscreen type.

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/96349-a-pillar-trim-photos-of-how-i-fitted-my-dab-glass-antenna/#entry1115674

The actual GPS aerial unit has a magnetic base to it so can be attached to any metal part easily!

Just need to figure out how & where is the best place for it, without losing any reception & without any messing cables around!

It's quite a long cable.

Thanks for the advice guys

i had mine in 2 places of which both got same reception the first was just placed next to the passenger door on the metal piece above to dask and next to the window adjuster.

the other was just places above the unit in the dash so the reciever was actually in side the dashboard just get it as high as possible and tie wrap it in

Cheers mate

Now just realised after the sat nav not operating correctly & doing some internet research on the MFD looks like I'm gonna need a 'Plug & Play' lead for it to operate - anyone know where I can get one?

It is the MFD type D version & was originally fitter to a Mk 4 Golf

thanks

Cheers mate

Now just realised after the sat nav not operating correctly & doing some internet research on the MFD looks like I'm gonna need a 'Plug & Play' lead for it to operate - anyone know where I can get one?

It is the MFD type D version & was originally fitter to a Mk 4 Golf

thanks

Absolutely no idea, isn't it just a standard OEM fitment?

no he will need a plug and play loom so it can get your speed information from your ecu so as the satnav can keep up

seriously? Wow... How... Retro :/ most sat navs calculate speed based on your GPS readings.

seriously? Wow... How... Retro :/ most sat navs calculate speed based on your GPS readings.

yep, if you dont get a plug and play it will lag and be behind, it gets your position from the gps and then uses the speed of the car to anticipate where it should be in the meantime till the gps can update again, and ill be honest it works pretty damn well...

Thanks for the info! I've now ordered a plug & play lead, so hopefully will get it working as it should! As that's what it is doing at the moment - lagging behind & not picking up my location correctly.

So thanks for that guys

I just placed my aerial underneath the top centre part of the dash, easy enough to poke it up there, didn't require any fixing in place and worked perfectly.

And it didn't affect GPS performance? Or did the GPS antenna have a clear view of the Sky?

Well pleased to say that the MFD is in & working great thanks to the purchase of the 'Plug & Play lead' & have also taken 'Philplop' advice & tucked the GPS transmitter just underneath the dash centre & is working great!

Now I know it's all working, next step is to try & push it back & fitted but with lots of wires behind the unit is taking some fiddling about!

But very happy now that I know it works!

Thanks to everyone for their advice & input ?

• Like 1

Well pleased to say that the MFD is in & working great thanks to the purchase of the 'Plug & Play lead' & have also taken 'Philplop' advice & tucked the GPS transmitter just underneath the dash centre & is working great!

Now I know it's all working, next step is to try & push it back & fitted but with lots of wires behind the unit is taking some fiddling about!

But very happy now that I know it works!

Thanks to everyone for their advice & input

Best way to get any head unit flush is to:

a. Tuck any wires you can down the side of the centre console, there's gaps you can fit the aerial loom and wiring harness down there and save some space.

b. Spare RCA's or danglers, you should drop into the underdash if you have enough space. I did, so I dropped a fair number down there and a whole pile of GPS wire which was coiled.

c. If you're still struggling, last resort, there's a plastic bar at the back of the centre console, it actually provides support for the cubby hole I believe. Totally useless for aftermarket radios or even the OEM radio I believe. Cut that out using a dremel or bolt cutters (I used bolt cutters, they work well for this). That should give you a good inch extra which is usually enough to fit everything in :)

Note: I personally don't like the GPS antenna being hidden away. Best GPS performance is obtained by having the antenna open to a clear view of the Sky :)

Good luck!!

Edited by Skezza

Cheers mate! Well I persevered & managed to get it back enough for it to sit flush was a bit of a struggle tbh!

But did jiggle various wires into the sides & it went in!

Was comptemplating removing the plastic bracket bar at the back if it didn't go in on the last attempt at fitting it!

Love how it looks in the dash & doesn't look out of place! Nice ?

• 3 months later...