Insurance help

pk1was

My son passed his test at the end of October this year is 18 and has purchased a Lupo 1.0e.

Insurance is proving somewhat impossible.

It will be parked on a driveway, in a not the worst area and he has no convictions or anything, quotes are coming in in the thousands, some in the tens of thousands!!!

is there any secrets, hints or tips.

It is nothing short of extorsion

thanks

It's extremely rare, in my experience, for it to be less than £1000 for a new young driver. Especially without a box. You can't go wrong with adding named drivers

I would look into the box, below is a thread I started to give some more info on it, hope this helps.

I thought my experience with my insurance could possibly help some out there, so this is about the dreaded 'black box'..

I passed my driving test 3 months ago, and have a seat arosa, 1.0. All my insurance quotes for 3rd party fire and theft was £1500+ ... Finally called axa and they offered me the box, and with this I got fully comp, all the cover ever needed, and for £1060... So after really not wanting the box, I went for it. The installation was free, and didn't get put in, till 2 months after my cover start date, and in the last month, I got 94%, in the breakdown, I got 100% on pace, and was in the 90's on the rest... So for my first year insurance, (being 20 and female) and starting my own policy. I think the box is a great idea... If it's mega savings, then go for it! But would really say, it's great for us new drivers! And to get 10% of money back, the overall score needs to be 77%+...

Hope this may help!

Also, I declared my alloys I put on the car recently, and didnt cost me a penny. Fair enough, I was only allowed to go 2inch smaller or bigger, but I was only going for 14" to 15". So had no trouble at all!

My son passed his test at the end of October this year is 18 and has purchased a Lupo 1.0e.

Insurance is proving somewhat impossible.

It will be parked on a driveway, in a not the worst area and he has no convictions or anything, quotes are coming in in the thousands, some in the tens of thousands!!!

is there any secrets, hints or tips.

It is nothing short of extorsion

thanks

Hi,

Please feel free to give us a try if you like. We have a number of exclusive schemes that cater for young drivers. If you wanted to PM me your details I'd be more than happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.

Regards,

Dan.

Dan, will you mirror NCB from my Lupo onto my VX220?

Its sorn at the min and il after a laid up policy for the winter that I can change to fully comp come springtime

Hi,

We have a number of scheme that offer mirrored introductory discounts subject to various terms and conditions etc.

Regards,

Dan.

• 3 weeks later...

Be very very careful when considering a box, especially whether you think it's practical. While I like the idea of the box, the insurers have got the rules and practices all over the place, and it's already resulted in the death of at least 2 individuals.

For one, the 11pm curfew, which is a fairly standard one, usually results in a large fine if breached, anything up to £200. Whereas speeding only results in a warning unless driving over a certain percentage faster than the speed limit. In the case of one of the men who passed away, the insurer set that threshold at 50%. Meaning on a 60mph road, you would need to be going at least 90mph to get a warning. The boy had been held up in traffic trying to get home and logs from the box show the boy was driving extremely fast on a country lane, breaking the speed limit several times, in order to avoid the 11pm curfew. While he is to be blamed for that, it's understandable, human nature would make anyone want to avoid such a heavy fine. He crashed into a tree and passed away. According to the police, he had not broken the speed limit prior to that night.

You really need to consider whether the black box insurer is practical. When I was attending college, I worked late nights Monday, Wednesday, Friday, the black box would have been completely impractical for me, and it will be for your lad if he intends on getting a job like I had.

Good luck :)

Edited by Skezza