Few Questions for Poorly SE Loop ;)

Hi Guys,

My Loop is in need of some garage attension, looks like there is a problem with the thrust bearing or clutch - luckily the old man will be doing the job of replacing it for me ;)

I have a few questions for you guys just hope you can answer them.

1: Will a clutch kit from euro car parts contain all the parts my dad will need? If not, what do i need, exactly!

2: I know there isn't a Loop Haynes manual but is there a Haynes manual similar that can help him out?

3: The car is drives fine but have been the idle has been a bit dodgy for a while now, any ideas?

Thanks for the time ;)

Hi Guys,

My Loop is in need of some garage attension, looks like there is a problem with the thrust bearing or clutch - luckily the old man will be doing the job of replacing it for me ;)

I have a few questions for you guys just hope you can answer them.

1: Will a clutch kit from euro car parts contain all the parts my dad will need? If not, what do i need, exactly!

2: I know there isn't a Loop Haynes manual but is there a Haynes manual similar that can help him out?

3: The car is drives fine but have been the idle has been a bit dodgy for a while now, any ideas?

Thanks for the time ;)

1. Should do yep. You fit a new clutch, fit a new bearing, jobs a good'n.

2. Good question, as a 1.7 SDI owner, I own the older Polo Haynes manual, which also contains details regarding the same SDI engine, specifically book 3500. However for a 1.0, I had book 4150, which is V to 02 reg, and talks about the 1.0 engine in quite a lot detail.

3. Is it noisy when idling then goes when you put your clutch in? If so, clutch bearing.

the manual is available either from e-manuals.com or there's one on e- bay which is available as a disc and covers all vw models. they are both elsa win which is the vw information - spot on.

I missed this one, yes if you get a full clutch kit from europarts it will be just that - a full kit, all you will need is the labour!!

• 2 weeks later...

This has turned into a feeking nightmare. My dad is doing the work, he knows his way around motors but he is a little peeved off today.

He took the clutch out and replaced, even though it looked good as did the thrust bearing. The whirring sound then disapeered.

So we had a few more bits and peieces that needed doing so fitted some new brake discs, pads, changed oil filter, fuel filter, new sparks and we thought it was all ready to rock.... the whirring sound is back and so it looks like the clutch / gearbox is coming out.

Any thoughts on this? My dad reckons it could poss be the input bearing in gear box or input shaft bearing idiller gear / diff. (that may not make much sense but hopefully someone should have an idea!)

If it went away for a while after you changes the clutch etc that would suggest it isn't the gearbox?

Worth refitting and double checking everything, especially if it wasn't a 'proper' mechanic doing the work.

I have fitted cheap clutches (at customers request because they couldn't afford oe)and the clutch itself has been ok but the release bearing has failed. you have to ask yourself where they make the savings and unfortunately its usually the release bearing. nine times out of ten it's ok but, as they say **** happens. you are fortunate (or not) by having your dad do the work, but if you've got to pay to have the gearbox took out again, you might as well have bought the good clutch. I'm rambling on here and I don't know which clutch you bought (you were talking about euro's) it doesn't sound like your box because the problem went away so I think we're back around to the release bearing. it may be worth your while to strip it again and look at the bearing,BEARING in mind that the noise may only occur under load. if it's faulty europarts will change it under guarantee. if you bought the cheap clutch you have a couple of options, return it and get a new one , return it and get an oe one (even these can break) or get a good bearing. as they say the choice is yours, I am not there.do you have the self adjusting clutch cable or the one you have to set up yourself? if you're over adjusting the clutch cable it won't help (just a thought) good luck geoff

nope, some of them have a ridiculous self adjusting thing which goes into self destruct mode if you don't put the right clip in the right place, or so elsawin tells me. geoff