Problem with steering.

danir

I have noticed sometimes on my lupo that my steering will become very light. This morning whilst taking a very sharp corner I almost ended up on the other side of the road as when I tried to turn the wheel the opposite way it just flew round, something which has never happened to me before.

Any ideas?

Tyres are all on 7mm, had them fitted when I bought the car. I worked for VW and know that they do occasionally have problems with power steering racks. Sadly I now work for Mitsubishi so if I get work carried out through work, I get a reduced labour rate, but I can't get reduced parts for genuine VW parts.

Thinking I may be inclined to take out some extended VW warranty.

I do a lot of mileage a day and the last thing I want is for my steering to go completely, especially with the bad weather setting in.

Welcome to the world of understeer

Sounds like sudden loss of front wheel grip to me, probably through user error.

I agree, can't seem to think power steering would lead to grip loss however if you experienced heavier steering it would point to that. Could be bad tracking or a bent suspension component or a combination of greasy/wet roads and budget tyres or indeed your driving style (too fast for the sharp bend).

I have no power steering and it happens to me quite often when I throw into a bend in go kart mode going a little bit too fast on a wet road I can feel it loose grip and the steering goes very light compared to normal, I back off a bit and just ease with the cornering. Spun out once from it and it wasn't a great experience and now I'm a bit more careful

Welcome to the world of understeer

I agree, can't seem to think power steering would lead to grip loss however if you experienced heavier steering it would point to that. Could be bad tracking or a bent suspension component or a combination of greasy/wet roads and budget tyres or indeed your driving style (too fast for the sharp bend).

I have no power steering and it happens to me quite often when I throw into a bend in go kart mode going a little bit too fast on a wet road I can feel it loose grip and the steering goes very light compared to normal, I back off a bit and just ease with the cornering. Spun out once from it and it wasn't a great experience and now I'm a bit more careful

I almost did a full 360 on a roundabout in the wet. I threw it round and totally lost it. Luckily there was nobody else around. Checked my front two tyres and they were pretty slick... that explained it haha
  • Like 1