lupo 1.4 epc light and check engine light on dash?

hi there, well my epc light came on about a week ago and i didnt no what it was before but now the check engine light as come on aswell, just wanting to know any suggestions on what these fault codes could be for, any help would be great,

lupo 1.4s 2002

thanks

Does it happen every now and then or all the time?

I've got a similar thing, both EPC and Emissions lights come on, after turning it off and on a few times the messages go away. The only answer is to get it scanned and see what the error messages are. I got the cheap USB VAGCOM cable from eBay and used VAGCOM lite to scan mine and it came up with this code:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17566/P1158

The EPC light stands for Electronic Pedal Control. It is most commonly a sign that your brake light switch has packed up, so I suggest having someone stand behind you and check your brake lights are working.

If it's not the brake light switch I believe it can come on when your throttle position sensor is playing up, but I recommend checking your brake lights first.

Regarding the EML get it scanned, it's the only way you'll know for sure.

the brake lights are working fine but when idling the rev move about just under 1000rpm could that be the issue

Is it hunting then? Basically doing this, but under 1000?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qAWcbZ2Gc

If so, that could be the throttle position sensor, I had that issue in my old 1.0 Lupo.

Fix, in my case, was thoroughly clean the throttle body, the inlet manifold, and the EGR valve, however the throttle position sensor was changed not long after as it still wasn't perfect, and it also needed a new lambda sensor to pass the MOT. Not sure the lambda sensor is particularly important, but figured I'd put it on for consistency.

Edited by Skezza

Yep, sounds like you have the same issue I had. Clean the throttle body first off. Then if possible the inlet manifold. See if it changes, then consider throttle position sensor.

cheers il give it a go, did the lights go off for you after that?

Well, that particular Lupo was a pre-2000 model and I'm still not convinced pre-2000 models had engine management lights. I spoke to VW about it and they told me that they don't have an EML control module, which is why they don't light up when you switch your ignition on, but they do have the light, that said, when mine was misfiring badly due to a ****ed HT lead, no light flashed on my dashboard and I scanned it with a reader and it came up with a misfire on cylinder 3, so no, I never had an EML to begin with.

However, yes, my EPC (which was lit) did go out.

EPC actually stands for Electronic Power Control (Straight from the VW workshop manual)

It refers to the drive-by-wire system and any faults with the throttle pedal, throttle body, traction control, cruise control, even the MAF will on occasion trigger the light.

It's also known for a stuck brake light switch to do this. Some brake light switches have two pairs of contacts in them, one for the engine and one for the brake lights.

If changing the brake light switch doesn't cure it then you will need to get a VAGCOM scan of the engine controller.

got its check at the garage today and it was fault codes:

16955 - brake switch (f) implausible signal PO571

and

17598 - linear O2 sensor reference volrage implausible P1190 intermittent

so going to get a new brake switch only 8 quid