Lupo TDI not starting

soupie69uk

This morning the Lupo would not start. All the dash lights would light and go out apart from the battery one. Turn the key and the engine would turn a couple of times but not start and the car would stop trying to start after a couple of seconds. You could then hear a clicking behind the instrument cluster.

I put my headunit face on to check the battery voltage and it was 11.4V but it had reset to setup mode and the trip mileage was at 0 too.

For the past few weeks the fuel pump has not been making its liquid noise below the rear seat so the car was taking an extra second to start.

I have not tried to bump start the car as I did not have time before work.

I have also read about ignition switch problems but hopefully if the car engine was initially turning then it cannot be this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking, battery, alternator or fuel pump finally causing a bigger issue.

I will get a mate to pop round to jump start the car then check if the voltage across the battery moves to near 14v to check if the battery is being charged. I will probably check the voltage on the alternator too to double check.

I am thinking perhaps the battery is nearing the end and under the load of starting the car it can not cope.

Got the car started last night and the battery voltage jumped from 11.4V to 14V when idle. Think when the battery is put under load it is just too weak.

So I have ordered a Bosch S5 battery which hopefully will sort things out.

Thank you for the advise.