what to do first??!?!??

cafelupo

I just brought my first vw (a round of applause isn't necessary) and for now I've got about £600 to spend on it. It's a 1.4 1999 lupo s, I'm not 100% sure what the colour is called but I've heard it's fuchsia green? (Looks abit like kermit the frog). Other than fitting my stereo and sub it's completely stock! However some previous owner has kept the alloys and left me with steelies and hubcaps. So I need to know what is worth doing to kermit and what I should avoid. What kind of alloys should I get? Debadge or rebadge? Stickers no stickers? Lower? I welcome any suggestions! Cheers in advance.

I'll stick a few pictures up tommorow, and now I do love the lowered look but if I'm putting 15's on with average tyres how low do you think I can go without rubbing over every bump in the road?

This vid shows how low I was running pretty well.

Lowered on ap coilover, wound most of the way down on the front and on custom shorter rear springs (about an inch lower than ap springs.)

Never had any problems with it, other than rubbing on the arch liner when cornering hard.

I wouldn't like to try speed bumps with it though. Just drive a bit more carefully over crappy roads. I drove it hard on country back roads at this height and never hit the bottom of the car on anything.

Edited by Deadmetal
  • Like 1

15x7 et 27 rear and et 35 front. 195/45 tyres. Rolled arches.

No idea how low is was compared to standard. I just wound the front down until it wouldn't go any lower without rubbing and then wound it up a couple of turns.

For pics, you need to upload them to some where like photobucket/tinypic etc and then copy the pic location and use the image button in the tools for replying and paste the location.

15x7 et 27 rear and et 35 front. 195/45 tyres. Rolled arches.

No idea how low is was compared to standard. I just wound the front down until it wouldn't go any lower without rubbing and then wound it up a couple of turns.

For pics, you need to upload them to some where like photobucket/tinypic etc and then copy the pic location and use the image button in the tools for replying and paste the location.

cheers for the photo help & i think using the old just fit them and then adjust it till its right method might be the best way to go for lowering.

Thats one nice clean car :)

As above i would suggest Coilovers first, shortly followed by taking those nasty bump-strips off!

Takes a bit of doing, but in the end you get to see the nice clean shape of the car, or at least i think you do.

Then polish polish polish! and wax for the winter coming :)

Thats one nice clean car :)

As above i would suggest Coilovers first, shortly followed by taking those nasty bump-strips off!

Takes a bit of doing, but in the end you get to see the nice clean shape of the car, or at least i think you do.

Then polish polish polish! and wax for the winter coming :)

I got out the hairdryer fishing line and petrol today to get the bump strips off.but as I prized away the strip it became very apparent that the 14 years of glue have pulled the paint off. I adhesived the strip back on but I think I'm gonna need a panel respray when I decide they really have to go unless you know a way to touch up a patch ?? (:

34phmhg.jpgFitted my custom refurbed alloys, and it does needs lowering! My quick question is if I lower it some of my mates say it'll be okay but others say I need some kind of 're-enforced bolts ? Any ideas ?

Firstly, congrats on getting a lupo and welcome to the club ;) very nice clean car - always a good place to start!

i have no idea what they mean by 're-enforced bolts' but i certainly haven't changed anything other than my suspension and camber when lowering my car (only needed camber as i run 8j et18 all round)

also, when you removed the bump strips petrol isn't the best as it can wear the paint away, it shouldn't do that really but i can, i used 'sticky stuff remover' you get it from B&Q etc. in a yellow can, buy that one, not the liquid one, it works pretty well with a bit of elbow grease! i'd use it for removing the rear badges anyway, but keep your front and rear VW badge on!

another thing i would recommend is a front towing eye cover! took me a while to get one but raking round scrappies proved to be the best way!

Firstly, congrats on getting a lupo and welcome to the club ;) very nice clean car - always a good place to start!

i have no idea what they mean by 're-enforced bolts' but i certainly haven't changed anything other than my suspension and camber when lowering my car (only needed camber as i run 8j et18 all round)

also, when you removed the bump strips petrol isn't the best as it can wear the paint away, it shouldn't do that really but i can, i used 'sticky stuff remover' you get it from B&Q etc. in a yellow can, buy that one, not the liquid one, it works pretty well with a bit of elbow grease! i'd use it for removing the rear badges anyway, but keep your front and rear VW badge on!

another thing i would recommend is a front towing eye cover! took me a while to get one but raking round scrappies proved to be the best way!

Cheers (: yeah I think that's some of my mates pretending they know what there on about! Quick question for you, I've done one side of the cars bump strips (before the rain came) and its left a black line, I picked at it for a good hour and I've done maybe a quarter of the black line! So the question is will this sticky stuff remover get that black sticky crap off ? And yeah badges are off tomorrow apart from the vw's!!

yeh i uses the sticky stuff remover for the black stuff! worked well, better if it's warm tbh (use a hairdryer), spray it on and leave it a good 10-20 minutes to work in then just use an old microfibre or something to really rub away at it, when you're taking the other one off best thing to do it get some fishing wire or similar, sticky stuff remover & hair dryer and heat it up whilst the sticky stuff remover has been sprayed down the back of the strip its self, then use the wire pulling it along the car and the strip will just fall off, use it in a back & forth motion, make sure not to have it too near the cars paintwork though, pull along & out if that makes sense?

nice one buddy! you'll notice a huge difference as soon as it's done!

• Like 1

yeh i uses the sticky stuff remover for the black stuff! worked well, better if it's warm tbh (use a hairdryer), spray it on and leave it a good 10-20 minutes to work in then just use an old microfibre or something to really rub away at it, when you're taking the other one off best thing to do it get some fishing wire or similar, sticky stuff remover & hair dryer and heat it up whilst the sticky stuff remover has been sprayed down the back of the strip its self, then use the wire pulling it along the car and the strip will just fall off, use it in a back & forth motion, make sure not to have it too near the cars paintwork though, pull along & out if that makes sense?

nice one buddy! you'll notice a huge difference as soon as it's done!

I'll be up b&q any minute to invest in some sticky stuff but woke up this morning and went to have a look, and now it's all in daylight there is some clear paint fade!!! It looks terrible I don't know weather I can use my 'magic' colour coded t-cut to get that out? Or if I need something else ? Or if I'm just screwed? Help me!! Haha

Debadged and De-bumpstriped today, followed by 3 hours of excessive cleaning. Love how kermit is starting to look just need some stripes and springs in the next few weeks!

did the fading polish out mate? also...stripes?

Well not really, gonna keep trying today! In some lights it's not too bad but in others it's disgusting so if I can't get rid of the fade in the next few days, my plan is to keep the nice shape of the body by leaving the bump strips off but adding some kind of stripe/decal. Never been a lover of stripes but I do prefer them to bump strips or paint fade (: haha

• Like 1

Just a little update really, I took off my rubstrip which left horrible paint fade marks! So I brought some side stripes and stuck them on and now I really like them. I've also done a few small jobs like tinting lights, spraying badges, New head unit & amp but unfortunately I'm still riding higher than snoop dog! Ordered some very basic lowered springs for now but I will be investing in some coilovers in the coming months! (Probably get Christmas out of the way first).2q1ywzb.jpg5u3fic.jpg