Grill blocking

• 10 months later...

ah, interesting.

My lupo does this, if the heater is on full, it seems to take ages to get to temperature, if I turn the heater off, it heats up quick.

Was thinking it was thermostat change time, but obviously not.

Good job aswell, seeing as the lupo is just a garden ornament recently!

Edited by danoid

Mine's not as warm as usual atm and it isn't even cold.

I'm just happy that I installed the heated seat but that isn't enough.

I've noticed on Tdi's they don't keep their temp. In the summer they are ok round town but as soon as its below 10c outside round town they won't heat up above 80c. I kept my grill block on all year and have no problems bar 1 day when it was silly hot. I just had the heater on blast and windows open and it only went to 91c.

Still think this grill block is a load of nonsense. Been driving about in the TDi today and it got up to 89C after a while and stayed there as it always does. Heater set with the pointer opposite the blue red dot and the fan on 1.

No need for a grill block if your thermostat is working fine and you don't have the heater on full heat.

I've usually got the heater on max but fan on 0. I'm just cold as a person I guess.

So annoying when people do this! Won't get much heat going into the car without the fan on. And just pointlessly cooling the engine down which is not ideal on a TDI when there's not much heat to go around.

Edited by jon_273

Still think this grill block is a load of nonsense. Been driving about in the TDi today and it got up to 89C after a while and stayed there as it always does. Heater set with the pointer opposite the blue dot and the fan on 1.

No need for a grill block if your thermostat is working fine and you don't have the heater on full heat.

So annoying when people do this! Won't get much heat going into the car without the fan on. And just pointlessly cooling the engine down which is not ideal on a TDI when there's not much heat to go around.

Not ideal being winter eh? :D

Still think this grill block is a load of nonsense. Been driving about in the TDi today and it got up to 89C after a while and stayed there as it always does. Heater set with the pointer opposite the blue dot and the fan on 1.

Actually your mucho wrong. My car is grill blocked and my thermostat is brand new from TPS.

You do get ALOT of heat going into the cabin this way without cooling down the car. Plus it's not blasting in your face and drying your eyes etc etc.

Plus what temperature was it there? It's cold enough that I have put my winter tyres on here. Out of curiosity how are you measuring temperature?

Not ideal being winter eh? :D

No, they don't make a good winter car!

Actually your mucho wrong. My car is grill blocked and my thermostat is brand new from TPS.

You do get ALOT of heat going into the cabin this way without cooling down the car. Plus it's not blasting in your face and drying your eyes etc etc.

Plus what temperature was it there? It's cold enough that I have put my winter tyres on here. Out of curiosity how are you measuring temperature?

Heat only gets into the cabin if you're driving fast enough for air to blow through the pollen filter and into the car. If you were sitting in traffic you would just be making the inside of the heater box very hot and cooling the engine down. As we know, at idle or low speeds the engine doesn't produce enough heat to run the heater on max heat and maintain engine temp.

I put my winter tyres on last week as the other car temp sensors have been saying around 7 degrees. Measuring temp using Scangauge II. It's been in there for 5 winters now so I've spent a long time driving and adjusting things to work out what's happening etc. Things I have found:

A bit of boost make the coolant temp come up a lot faster.

The heater dial is not linear in it's adjustment. Most of the control is in the first section from cold to about 40% on the dial. From 40% to full heat there's not a lot of difference. (this is in terms of how much the cable moves from the heater dial to open the valve into the heater matrix)

You can put the recirc on if it's very cold outside to help heat the cabin up quicker without turning the heater dial up too much. Only for short periods though, until it starts to steam up.

A decat makes it take longer to warm up. Presumably, less backpressure has meant less load on the engine, therefore less fuel burnt and therefore less heat.

And yes I was wrong, I have the heater set opposite the red dot! Opposite the blue dot is too high for the reason I have just explained above.

• Like 1

No, they don't make a good winter car!

Heat only gets into the cabin if you're driving fast enough for air to blow through the pollen filter and into the car. If you were sitting in traffic you would just be making the inside of the heater box very hot and cooling the engine down. As we know, at idle or low speeds the engine doesn't produce enough heat to run the heater on max heat and maintain engine temp.

I put my winter tyres on last week as the other car temp sensors have been saying around 7 degrees. Measuring temp using Scangauge II. It's been in there for 5 winters now so I've spent a long time driving and adjusting things to work out what's happening etc. Things I have found:

A bit of boost make the coolant temp come up a lot faster.

The heater dial is not linear in it's adjustment. Most of the control is in the first section from cold to about 40% on the dial. From 40% to full heat there's not a lot of difference. (this is in terms of how much the cable moves from the heater dial to open the valve into the heater matrix)

You can put the recirc on if it's very cold outside to help heat the cabin up quicker without turning the heater dial up too much. Only for short periods though, until it starts to steam up.

A decat makes it take longer to warm up. Presumably, less backpressure has meant less load on the engine, therefore less fuel burnt and therefore less heat.

And yes I was wrong, I have the heater set opposite the red dot! Opposite the blue dot is too high for the reason I have just explained above.

I don't do much town driving. It's like 1 mile then on the dualler. I agree that round town it won't be warm but on the duel carriageway it heats up quickly and the air comes through fine.

I need to decat my car. Since I got the leaf I've not spent any time on the arosa.

It comes down to where and how your driving it. But again round town the grill block helps to heat the engine much much faster,

If you have VCDS you can get a digital read out of the temperature. I did this when I had problems a few years ago and found it did not correlate with the gauge. It seems that the signal from the CTS goes to the computer which then (among other things) sends a command to the temperature gauge. I think the temperature gauge on our Lupo read 90 when the actual temperature was anywhere between 70 and 90 but can not remember the actual values.

I have been told that the system was designed that way so that owners saw a nice steady temperature reading on the instruments but not sure if this is true.

Yes, where and how you drive it makes all the difference. Was struggling to reach full temp today as could not really get over 40mph due to traffic. Temperature due to reach freezing tonight. Think I'll just use a petrol car tomorrow!

If you have VCDS you can get a digital read out of the temperature. I did this when I had problems a few years ago and found it did not correlate with the gauge. It seems that the signal from the CTS goes to the computer which then (among other things) sends a command to the temperature gauge. I think the temperature gauge on our Lupo read 90 when the actual temperature was anywhere between 70 and 90 but can not remember the actual values. I have been told that the system was designed that way so that owners saw a nice steady temperature reading on the instruments but not sure if this is true.

Yes, that's how the Scangauge gets it's readout.

Yes, where and how you drive it makes all the difference. Was struggling to reach full temp today as could not really get over 40mph due to traffic. Temperature due to reach freezing tonight. Think I'll just use a petrol car tomorrow!

Yes, that's how the Scangauge gets it's readout.

Get your grill block on. See your thermostat isn't knackered. I don't know if these cars are super efficient or over cooled maybe both but when it's cold you can't beat a grill block. VW do an oem kit for their cars too. Don't know about lupo though. Edited by Dblock

My SDI has been struggling to get over 65c in this cold weather. This has resulted in my veg oil getting thicker and performance reduced. Did a partial grill block which helped a little.

Did a full grill block last night. Brilliant.