Diesel tuning ??

Foogzy

Stupid question but how do you get the second bolt off the egr...the one that secured the dipstick at one end...? Do you know the one I mean?

i know what you mean, i did not end up getting mine off, i backed two nuts ontoo each other and swung off it like He man and it did not want to budge!

Well, my egr gasket hasn't arrived in the post so gonna have to sack that off cleaning that out for another time anyway. At least I can get the manifold cleaned out and do a diesel purge, plus new engine oil & air/oil/fuel filters after. That should all hopefully make a noticeable difference. I mainly just want a smoother sounding engine from the purge so will report back! Ta for the advice.

Yeah that bolt is a sod to get off, I soaked it with wd40 and left it over night. Try to get as much leverage on as possible with a ratchet spanner, as I don't think it would take much much to round it off. And as said above, scrape most of the gunk off with a screw driver, I used a piper cleaner, but a tooth brush would do.

Oh and put some copper slip on the bolts before you put them back on, that way if you do it again, they should come off easy.

Edited by Hazy

didn't have a problem with my bolt. its just a nut that holds on the dipstick tube and then an elongated bolt with a thread on the end to remove the egr. (when you get it of you'll realise what I mean by the wooly description of the bolt) shouldn't need to involve professional help to get it off. by the way mr muscle oven cleaner is supposed to be about the best for cleaning cack off egr's turbo's etc . I kid you not, try it and it's cheaper than most stuff sold by halfrauds.. geoff

Just to update, my diesel purge does seem to have made the engine a touch quieter at low revs, so it was worth it for that, and nice knowing it must be cleaner now. My inlet manifold wasn't that sooted up (compared to one example I've seen where the holes were actually half blocked by crud), so cleaning that didn't do much either. But it's all clean and serviced now for winter so job done.

What's the opinion on an egr delete plate on the SDI then? Pros and cons? Worth doing or not? Just curious.

blanking the egr would stop the crap building up in the manifold

So if we cleaned the manifold, then blanked the EGR (coke can ftw) then the car would run nicer in the future.

And shouldn't have any problems with heat?

Who ever told you it would over heat the engine is an imbecile.

well I guess on paper, the point of it is to recirculate engine gases to help with cooling ? No?

well I guess on paper, the point of it is to recirculate engine gases to help with cooling ? No?

You think pumping hot air into the engine helps with cooling. Okay... Think about it.

It's to do with emissions. Would you remap your car, add a filter Decat it etc to make more power? If so that means more heat. It's a diesel it works off pressure which = heat. By adding "spent" of exhaust air you are only reducing the amount of heat by reducing power. Lots of clean cold air = power = heat. Less clean air with air that has gunk and little oxygen in it = less power = less heat.

You think pumping hot air into the engine helps with cooling. Okay... Think about it.

It's to do with emissions. Would you remap your car, add a filter Decat it etc to make more power? If so that means more heat. It's a diesel it works off pressure which = heat. By adding "spent" of exhaust air you are only reducing the amount of heat by reducing power. Lots of clean cold air = power = heat. Less clean air with air that has gunk and little oxygen in it = less power = less heat.

Ta ;) Makes perfect sense!

• 1 month later...