Diesel tuning ??

Foogzy

Got a 1.7 sdi lupo ...

What is possible on a budget when talking about engine tuning ?

Performance or economy .. Just curious , it's my first dirty diesel so don't know anything about them !!

trumpets are in the black box to the rear of the engine bay. took sophie's out and it sounds better. don't let anything fall into the intake ports though

The best things to do to these engines are leave them alone.

There built for MPGZZZZ, if you want performance and economy get a tdi.

Personally I'd just give it a full service, cam belt if it needs one, throw a set of glow plugs in and make sure your battery's healthy also make sure you've got a good mix of anti freeze in the coolant and some screen wash.

That should give you a trouble free winter.

I do want a tdi ... Insurance :(

Recommend any gd glow plugs ? I heard some one talking about different kinds a while ago , as I said don't know sh*t bout diesels much (yet) so I don't know if their talkin bout brands (eg :ngk) or types that wrk better ... ???

yes, these trumpets do fill up with cack though, and its a good free tweak to take em out and clean them. whether you put them back is up to you, however it doesn't seem to have done us any harm. good regular servicing is the best advice with these engines, as has been said they were meant for mpg not speed so tuning is not really covered. a decent air filter and exhaust can't hurt though. I recently did a cat removal pipe on ours and it seemed to sweeten it a little bit, but as I haven't had it rolling roaded I wouldn't know that to be true. I plan to change the exhaust system for a hand made stainless one at some point also, watch this space diesel fiends!!

Lol , I don't expect to get much power gains , the car isn't gna break any speed records :) it Is just a wee workhorse for a year or two , then I might get a gti :P or go for a b18c from an integra ... Would be maaaad ! Egr doesn't add Bhp only wrecks ur mpg and engine :( but it does open up the revs a wee bit , so anyone know how diesels let in air into the engine .. As someone said they don't have throttles ..:/ ?

i want to clean the EGR and intake manifold but wouldn't know where to start. Will have to look. Mine idles quite heavy lol.

I reckon if u do that the interior won't shake about as much , then u can tighten everything up and u can sit at peace without figuring out WHERE THE HELL THAT RATTLE IS COMING FROM !

Quick generic guide to derv tuning is get more in air and out.

Air filter, Decat, egr delete and inlet manifold clean will help. Then your next step would be remapping if possible or if the fuel pump can be adjusted turn it up a little. Worse mpgs but slightly more power.

A few other things may help such as regular Maintence e.g. When's the last time you changed that fuel filter. Doing 1/2 a litre of diesel purge on closed loop, didn't make mine any faster but it's so smooth now. Cleaning out pipe work intercooler or trumpets etc.

Your not chasing high numbers but trying to get as close to book figures are possible IMO lol.

Just googled the purge , never heard of that before , definetly doin that lol

I don't know if the sdi is a little smoother due to having 4 cylinders but it just made my car smoother and silkier. Slightly easier to rev but that could be a placebo.

Decent air filter makes a difference, pulls a bit better. Depending on the age (suppose that's all SDIs now!), the trumpet clean/removal is worth it, and if you're feeling inclined, clean the manifold and stick a new gasket while you're on. Regular services are the SDI's best friend though.

There was somebody a year back that had a remap done, think it brought the bhp and torque in line with the 3L's 1.2tdi, which is none too shabby. Think it kept the same MPG, just was better on response and up hills (the SDI's nemesis if judged wrong!) and overtaking when need.

Edited by Hazy

Yup , sucks on the up hill . Rules the downhill :) I heard some one mention remaps can actually improve ur mpg aswell as power . What u think ?

Edited by Foogzy