Wrong engine

Jimmie77

just something thats on my mind.

My Lupo i got a few weeks ago. The model is Lupo 1.4L. But some previous owner thought "Hey lets put in a 1.6L Engine". So it is a Lupo 1.6L 16v now i guess. BUT when i look at different models on wiki i c that the only 1.6 lupo was a 1.6L GTI. But the big letters on the Engine say only 1.6L 16v. It was suggested by a friend that it could be from a VW Golf or Polo or something. Can that be so? Is there a way to be sure what the hell is in there?

And no i dont want to chase the owner who did the change cause its way back =P

The bit where it says 1.6 16v is a badge that clips into the engine cover. Check on the right side near the coilpack, i think that's where the engine code is stamped onto the block.

So the suggestion is that it is a 1.4 with Another "hat"? i can c the Pictures how they differ. But why would you change the numbers on the Engine but not on the cars back if you want to fake a bigger Engine?! There was a sticker attached to the left sied at some Point, i can c the markings. But the number also shows stamped underneith the plastic then you say? i have som trouble translating some Words and details im sorry.

Try the engine code, I cant tell you where it would be though sorry, im sure someone will be along that can tell you.

Takes away the guess work. Look either for a label in the boot or service book for a three letter engine code eg. AVY, AHW, AXP etc.

I can't see a label on the timing belt cover to check it against.

Edited by arosa-beeftex

like i said the sticker is gone. i Went to the VW workshop and asked a mechanic if he knew where to find it. He checked and on the right side far in to land of Narnia (no easy spot) it sits. but it is not easy to read. i have to Clean it up and brush with steelbrush and c if i can get a glimps of it

Looks suspiciously like a 1.4 16v as Rich has said, going off the location of the EGR valve anyway...

Also, where's that pipe that comes out of the oil filler cap going to? That's not standard.

I finally got VAG-COM working anyways. Theres a funcion in Win 7 that lets you run xp. so i can play with that anyways. Dunno if it can c anything. Does warn me about airbags can be damaged by running it! whats up with that??

In any case i will scratch and Clean the area where the supposed "tag" is and c what i can read of it.

Could there be some other change made? like previous here said the pipe from the oilcap is not original. i Think it goes to something to give it heat at start or something. Its my mothers old car and when she bought it she was told the story what has been done to the Engine, but since she dont know anything about a car she said that it was a 1.6L and not a 1.4L. So somethings changed about it anyways and i want to know why. But it said AUA on the right side on the block

55 kilowatts (75 PS; 74 bhp) @ 5,000 rpm; 128 newton metres (94 lbf·ft) @ 3,300 rpm — AHW, AXP, AKQ, APE, AUA, BCA, BBY, BKY

Looks like an AUA and the breather tube looks like a bodge. Maybe the wrong (taller) oil filler extension?