Lupo GTi New Clutch?

Hi all,

My 2002 6 speed Lupo GTi has had this problem since I've owned it where it's very difficult to pull away smoothly. I've never known if it's the engine dying trying to bite the clutch, or the clutch is killing the engine by not smoothly engaging.

The car's done 106,000 miles and the gear change is fine. Would you expect the clutch to be needing to be changed at this point anyway? This seems to be worse when cold, but it's always there. It's very light but I assume that's due to it being hydraulic.

How long do clutches normally last? If I get the clutch kit (Sachs £80), will I need anything else e.g. slave valve or whatever else is involved in hydraulic clutches.

Edited by dirk1978

I have the same problem, my GTi had a 'fast road clutch' about 2 years ago according to the service history, but evidently it was cheap rubbish... considering I've driven it like miss daisy since I bought it last year.

Symptoms I have are; difficulty pulling away smoothly, and clutch release bearing making a noise when clutch is depressed, which disappears when clutch is engaged. I can also feel a bit of resistance in the clutch pedal lately, and a bit of vibration coming through the pedal.

I've self diagnosed the clutch/release bearing for my issue, but will be getting a second opinion from a garage in the next few days before tackling the job.

The Sachs kit comes with everything you need, the clutch kit and release bearing. You shouldnt need to replace the slave/master cylinder, and in any case these can be replaced with the gearbox on (so not worth doing as a matter of course with a clutch change).

My car is also only on 75k miles, so its probably a combination of being thrashed earlier in its life and poor quality parts being used, that has led to my clutch's untimely demise.

Think everyone has the same problem with the GTi, mines was absolutely shocking in the cold. When you put your foot on the accelerated very lightly on a cold morning it would be very rough (not smooth).

It was horrible and pissed me off incredibly. I searched the forum about it and read that it was pretty common for the gti to do this.

Yeah I think I started a thread about this same problem a while ago where lots of people said they found the same. But recently I've been hearing of people needing to change clutches around 100,000 miles anyway so it made me think perhaps it's the clutch.

Someone did say they cured it by changing the leads. Perhaps I might change them first to see.