Arosa Head Unit Aux Input?

Tango91

Hi all,

My Arosa has a radio that looks like this (apologies for huge picture):

stereo.jpg

It's ok but I'd like to have an 3.5mm auxiliary input for my iPod/phone/whatever. I could buy an aftermarket head unit but that's a fairly expensive option and I'd like to keep this cheap if possible.

I know this model of radio can accept a cd-changer and that it's possible to wire an aux-input into this. The trouble is that I haven't been able to find a definitive answer as to the kind of adaptor that is required and I don't want to go fishing around behind the dash if I can help it, because the previous owners were nice enough to not write the radio code on the card in the car's paperwork folder. :glare:

Does anyone have any information on the kind of adaptor I should be looking for, or whether it would be easier to go and pick up a used head unit with a front mounted aux input?

Thanks, Tango.

Just buy a cheap second hand headunit from ebay/gumtree. Sooner or later your battery will be disconnected or it will go flat and then your going to need another one.

Confused as to what you mean by this lol...

Regarding the OP, you can buy some pretty cheap head units now. I don't know what your budget is but I guess it depends what you want. You can buy a mechless unit for pretty cheap now. Halfrauds were doing a Pioneer mechless unit for just £29.99 a few months back with iPod-in, Aux-In and an SD card slot. If you do want a CD player too, Halfrauds have this on sale right now which is a fairly impressive spec'd unit:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_878419_langId_-1_categoryId_237503

If you want pretty much everything for cheap, ALDI do head units for about £50 which even have Bluetooth :surprise: Friend of mine has one, they aren't exceptional sound quality, but you get a hell of a lot of head unit for literally next to nothing.

If you want to go super mental OEM, there's a tutorial on VWVortex (i think) for taking a Gamma head unit I think it was and soldering an iPod cable onto the connections for the CD changer... yes it works.

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look round Halfords and a search online. :thumbsup:

Would you happen to know the model of the head units fitted to Arosas as in the picture above? I've searched but come up blank :glare:

The little booklet that comes with the car manual simply says 'Radio Mod Arosa' and googling this gets me precisely nowhere.

Just buy a cheap second hand headunit from ebay/gumtree. Sooner or later your battery will be disconnected or it will go flat and then your going to need another one.

I've subsequently read that in theory the radio should talk to the car's ECU and unlock itself, unless it gets moved to a different vehicle. Here's hoping!

Edit: I think I found the VWVortex thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4988871-DIY-quot-JB-Mod-quot-Auxiliary-iPod-Input-to-OEM-Head-Unit-via-Tape-Deck-Hack

Edited by Tango91