Upgrades

hey guys. I have trawled through the posts and found that when it comes to audio we're more or less split 50/50. some people are well up for an amp, others say you just need a good set of door speakers.

I listen to my music LOUD, I shot my original speakers in a day of owning the car. That said, I very much appreciate audio quality and clarity, not just quantity. I think I'm coming down in the door speakers corner, but can people recommend any that play loud, keep quality, and have a decent bass on them? Spend is maybe a couple hundred and I'm willing to buy an amp if it's needed...is it likely to be needed just for door speakers?

also I'm considering wiring up a set in the rear door cards so if anyone has suggestions on speakers that fit the above criteria but are also pretty cheap, that'd be awesome :)

edit: I have a double din clarion head unit, so I guess it can take a bit of strain.

Edited by StuntCodpiece
  • Like 1

If you're going loud you will need an amp.

I have used Infinity and will buy them again, they arn't expensive.

You will need to amp every speaker then you wont go damaging them.

In simple terms you damage a speaker when playing loud as the headunit struggles to send a clear signal when playing loud. Any distortion in the speaker will eventually damage it.

Agreed, if you want volume, you'll need an amp, but a good set of door speakers and some clever sound deadening could easily suffice. You'd be surprised how much extraneous noise you can filter by just adding a bit of deadening material to the doors. If you do the floors as well you'd be laughing!!

With regards to audio clarity, there's a fairly widespread opinion, that an amp will generally improve quality, as the head unit won't need to be turned up as loud (as the volume is generated by the amp). The louder you turn your head unit up, the worse the quality gets (I think at somewhere around 70-90% you should notice audible clipping)... so boosting the volume using the amp while having the head unit at a nominal volume will usually sound much better.

Don't forget you've got the added work of installing the amp though. Door speakers take an hour to fit, two if you're a novice ;) An amp will take a few hours unless you're pretty experienced.

• Like 1

cheers for the feedback guys! My loop is already wired for an amp I think, thanks to the previous owner, but as I've never used one before they still confuse me lol. does it mean that every time I want to turn the tunes up or down I have to mess with the amp and not the head unit? or can I put the amp in full and then master it with the head unit?

good shout with the sound deadening too, planning on putting a new carpet down anyway so might have a go then :)

Edited by StuntCodpiece

The amp has a remote wire which turns on with the headunit.

The amp should be set around 3/4 power and will then amplify the headunit, so when you turn the headunit up the amp will do the work.