SDi Economy - Highest I've Ever Achieved

Skezza

Hey,

So lately, I've turned into a bit of an eco-terrorist... well, car driving wise. I'm trying to get as high MPG as possible out of my SDI Lupo. Someone on here I believe got about 76MPG a few years ago.

I was reading various eco modder forums and the Lupo 3L, TDi and SDi are all quite popular cars. Understandable for the 3L of course, but it seems the SDi is the poor mans go for getting good economy. Anyway, I found a thread a few days back by a fella who claimed to get 90MPG out of his SDi. This wasn't a standard SDi... he'd removed the backseats, spare wheel, put low rolling resistance tyres on blown up above the recommended, etc etc etc, so there is no way I was ever going to get that figure. However, I took note of his driving tips for a Lupo SDi and tried to replicate it.

First tip was to not go above 2000-2100 revs at all. This is dull driving believe me. You aren't going very fast in fifth (about 55mph in mine) but if you're driving to work on mainly a single carriageway for 35 miles, where 60 is the limit (as I am) then the speed is fine and I don't feel like I'm ever that far behind the person in front. At no point did I feel like I was holding up traffic either. The roads are fairly bendy so I would somewhat argue the speed was appropriate.

Second tip was to change up at bang on 2000. Not earlier, and not later.

All his other tips were standard hyper-miler tips e.g. avoid stopping if possible (as in keep rolling even at slow pace), etc etc. Which I've been following for a while.

Anyway, part way through the week I noticed my fuel consumption was noticeably lower, so I continued to follow his tips by the book. At no point did I go above the recommended 2000-21000 revs. By the time I came to fill up my odometer was reading 483.2 miles which is already high. The tank certainly wasn't empty either.

The fill up was 27.67 litres which works out at an astonishing 79.38MPG!

I took photos for those who are skeptical, but that said I have nothing to gain by putting the figures up.

I looked into changing 5th on the sport cos it screamed on motorways, as far as I could tell it should be doable without removing the gearbox.

Mine is totally standard. It has had some fresh oil lately and a new set of front tyres but other than that I genuinely believe it's all about how you drive. I think it's important to get rid of any extra weight too, without going nuts of course. I'm considering replacing the spare wheel with a can of tyre weld, which is one of the first recommendations on these eco forums.

Edited by Skezza

i used to get 79+mpg in my Lupo when i had it, standard engine lowered a bit on 13" wheels with standard tyres.

if i ever own one again, il remove the spare wheel and a few other bits. and the seats when im not using them. also i would run the 13" wheels with

155/70 tyres

much thinner, much cheaper. less RR which means better fuel consumption.

probably windy windows for less weight etc.

I looked into changing 5th on the sport cos it screamed on motorways, as far as I could tell it should be doable without removing the gearbox.

Saw the 6th gear kit but it was £1k so alot of money. I don't know much a polo gearbox can be picked up for though.

The sport was a really crappy designed car. It was fun and comparatively cheap to insure but the fuel consumption and the amount of problems they have I don't see why anyone would get one. 4k rpm @70 used to get boring quickly aswell.

My GTI gets between 25 and 33 mpg.

My company car, a smart fortwo cdi (wheezy 800cc 54hp diesel engine) manages about 75mpg.

Worst I've had was my Maserati 3200GT (the one with the boomerang rear lights ;) ), 11mpg!!!

Marv

That's pretty impressive from the Smart, but is that a N/A diesel? Surely not, at 800cc it would practically be a no-go?

Skezza, it's got the teeniest turbocharger you've ever seen ;) it's actually quite torquey, so the lack of power is not apparent until about 65 - 70 mph or when you've got to overtake.

Marvin

• Like 1

I'm tempted to try this SDI economy challenge.

I don't think it's anymore economical than the TDI though.

Maybe not, the problem with the TDI is that it's too tempting to boot the turbo. I'm almost certain you could get similar MPG out of a TDI but I'm almost convinced if I owned one, I'd be simply booting the turbo... all the time :P

That is good going in an SDI.

Unlike the PD TDIs the SDI can be run on very cheap fuel too, which gives it the potential to be cheaper run than a 3L.

As long as you can handle the boredom of driving a NA DERV

Correct. It's not for everyone. Some people hate SDI engines and their lack of performance.

I hear from veggie oil forums that the SDI is a perfect car for this. I've looked into it to be honest but veg oil isn't so cheap nowadays.

I've looked into it to be honest but veg oil isn't so cheap nowadays.

You're not supposed to buy it from ASDA :P the GVMT put extra tax on anything that can be used as fuel. You best bet is to invest in a filtering system and collect used oil from chippies and pubs etc.

ok filled my tdi begining of week and been hypermiling best i can, done 250 miles so far and have over half a tank still left, i have cruise so really easy to keep below 2000rpm and cruise at 56mph, did this once before (before cruise fitted) and averaged 86mpg from full tank, but youre right its soooooo tempting to boot it.

girlfriends new company car is bmw 116ed thats amazing did 50 mile trip recently of mixed driving and managed 93mpg! ,acording to computer, its fitted with low resistance tyes, start/stop, eco button which alters things like aircon to take less power and be more economical and because of low emmisions its free tax

worst car was a subaru impreza ra which me and a friend took to a drift day only used 1st and 2nd gear all day and managed to use a full tank of fuel in less than 70 miles!

Good work Skekka :thumbsup:

On a handful of occasions over the 140,000 miles I've driven my SDi, I've seen 80mpg+ and on the last fill-up I averaged 83.71mpg but that was only over a distance of about 75 miles.

At the moment I'm doing about 600 miles between fill-ups so I'm down to about 73-75mpg travelling to and from work on the M42.

you want to go for 500mpg?

Funny thing with these cars is if for example you lost 10% mpg from your flat tyres in a car that does 30mpg it goes down to 27mpg. Worse but still doesn't seem that much. If your doing 60mpg and you lose 10% for example your at 54mpg.

Really need to get a scangauge for my car.

you want to go for 500mpg?

Funny thing with these cars is if for example you lost 10% mpg from your flat tyres in a car that does 30mpg it goes down to 27mpg. Worse but still doesn't seem that much. If your doing 60mpg and you lose 10% for example your at 54mpg.

Really need to get a scangauge for my car.

I'm looking at a Scangauge too. I've heard the Scangauge E is the best for casual eco-terrorists but the Scangauge 2 provides **** loads more data. The Scangauge E does have certain features the Scangauge 2 doesn't like real-time graphing etc.

I'm always on the lookout for a second hand one as they go for about £60. I reckon it would pay for itself if I followed it closely!!

i need to start doing this as i am driveing now i am getting 70-75mpg the lowest i have had was around 35mpg

car is stock with nothing removed just lowered and wider wheels and a massive subwoofer box in the boot

i think the owner has done something to it befor me will not go over 3k in 4th and 5th even going down big hills it hard