Bought it, but not happy with it

geeza

Hi ya. Picked up a 1.4s from smegness earlier and it has a few faults! It cuts out when coming to a stop, the windows don't work at all ( passenger switch on drivers side broke ) plenty of scratches and dents, check strap very noisy, and think exhaust blowing. not much power either, was thinking there would be more.

regarding the cutting out what should I check, and what tools are needed?

cheers Gary

• Like 1

I had travelled hours by train from Southend to smegness, no way wasting going to spend another 5 hours plus to get home. it did only cost me £185 though ;-)

previous owners were knobs as far as I can tell. have put the air filter back in and sprayed some carb cleaner I'm need to do a better job but was rushed for time. changed 3 plugs, yes only 3 as 1 wouldn't come out. need a deep spark plug socket. I'm not even sure the wheels are vw! I'll find some 14" steelies to bung on. oh and another reason I wasn't going to travel home is my legs and feet are in major pain

Lol 185? Nice.

Anyway,

Are both Windows broken? The noisy check strap can be fixed via a number of methods, some of which are documented in my how to another documented in the thread currently talking about fixing noisy check straps lol.

Yeh for the cutting out think you should just take you throttle body out and give it a good clean with carb cleaner and a tooth brush then either take car to a vw garage and get them to do the basic settings or been told you can disconnect the battery and leave it for a bit and it should be ok