Considering going back to a Lupo GTI.

lupo_bbs_lm

Hi guys, not been in this forum in ages. Cut a long story short...

When I was 17 my first car was a Lupo GTI and I loved it. Now at 24 I've owned a few different cars and currently own an E39 M5 and MK5 Golf GTI.

I'm looking to sell the GTI within this year as I've owned 2 and as much as I love it running it and an M5 is very expensive. This is where the Lupo comes in...

I've noticed recently Lupo prices have fallen quite a bit and its possible to get a nice GTI for less than 3K. I know I'll prob get shot down for this but what sort of mpg do people get from their Lupo GTI, how much do tyres cost, apart from usual consumables and Cambelt and water pump is there anything else that needs replaced. What sort of miles do clutches go and are gearboxes robust...

How is the bodywork for corrosion, I know the roof can corrode but anything else as most panels are aluminium

Any help and opinions would be good .

• Like 2

The spoiler will probably be bubbled underneath, and then the roof gutters and boot handle can suffer too.

Mileage wise I usually got 40+ just going to work and back, will drop to 30 or so if you are hammering it round.

Tyres depends what you buy, plenty of choice in 195/45 though.

I suppose servicing etc depends on where you live but they are cheap to maintain, certainly more reliable than the rest of the range too!

I averaged 36mpg in mine with mixed town/motorway/blast driving.

Tyres are about £70 for goodyear 195/45/15 I think.

Gearboxes are pretty strong, no real known problems with them.

The bonnet, front wings and doors are aluminium.

I wouldn't say they were more reliable than the rest of the range. I recently bought another Lupo GTI - and this is my fifth Lupo so I can speak with some experience...

Both GTI's have had to have attention to the gearboxes (both 6 speed). Oil change fixed the first one, and resealing the end plate and an oil change fixed the second one (THB I have been lucky to escape a rebuild). Also Phil, you had to have part of your differential replaced did you not...

Both GTI's had a burnt out resistor on the radiator fan. £6 to fix yourself, or £50 for a second hand fan.

Current GTi needed a new coolant temp sensor (£35 for the part). Now I can see what the temp is doing, I see it needs a thermostat (£20 for the part).

Road tax is now £220.

The non GTI Lupos have needed:

Exhausts

The TDI needed a Camshaft position sensor (£30 for the part)

So in my experience, they are the most problematic! Although I have never owned a 16v sport...

IMO why anyone buys anything other than a gti or diesel in the lupo is beyond me. I had a sport and it broke all the time. When it was running no one told the engine it was a 1.4 not a 4litre so it used to drink fuel. 1ls seem to be pretty bad to. The common problems are the car basically needing to go to the scrapyard.

Yes, yes, I did have a little bit of work on my diff done Jon, but I like to forget about that... I've never heard of anybody else having the problem though so I disregard it. :lol: in fact, I can't actually remember it breaking. I remember getting it fixed, but no idea what the problem was; was it hard to change gear, did it make a noise? I don't know. Seems so long ago! It was so long ago!

Anyway, it's gonna be cheaper on fuel and cheaper to run in every single way compared to a mk5 GTI and an M5, so just do it. :D

Anyway, it's gonna be cheaper on fuel and cheaper to run in every single way compared to a mk5 GTI and an M5, so just do it. :D

Yes, this is true, so you should still do it lupo_bbs_lm. On the whole they are fairly simple and things don't cost a fortune to fix.

I've been looking on PH and autotrader and the market seems to be flooded with silver cars.

Spotted this on PH,

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/lupo/2004-tornado-red-volkswagen-lupo-gti---------------2004/1626686

A 2004 Tornado Red 6 spd GTI. Price seems high considering the bodywork issues mentioned.

What sort of Milage to clutches tend to go?

I bought mine on May 3rd this year, with 178800km on the clock.

Here's what the paperwork and the previous owner told me went wrong with the car when he still had it:

- at around 130000km, the gearbox went and 6th gear had to be rebuilt. Cost around 2600 EUR IIRC... some 55k later, the box is still going strong though

- last year, one of the Xenons went pop, so both were replaced

- the two rectangular plastic covers in the front grille have a habit of falling off during cold winters apparently

Since I've had it, mileage has increased to 184300 and the only thing it needed was a new left rear wheel bearing which it got yesterday, so seems quite reliable to me.

Gas mileage, between 33mpg and 25mpg when driven hard.

Marv

I've been looking on PH and autotrader and the market seems to be flooded with silver cars. Spotted this on PH, http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/lupo/2004-tornado-red-volkswagen-lupo-gti---------------2004/1626686 A 2004 Tornado Red 6 spd GTI. Price seems high considering the bodywork issues mentioned. What sort of Milage to clutches tend to go?

Good

Lowish miles

Unmolested

Nice colour

Service history

AirCon

Taxed & Tested

Bad

Toe-eye covers missing

Few Dinks

Bit of wheel curbing

Not too bad IMO :thumbsup: