Cold air feed on TDi, is it worth doing?

Rickpercy87

Not a massive amount, I understand the turbo is the crux of the 1.4 tdi as it runs out of puff long before you need to add cold feed or charge cooling/larger intercooler for more bhp

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a darkside developments intercooler on mine and its huge,really does a good job though and will drop the intake temp by around 40 degrees,mine was backing off power when the intake got to 66 degrees,now stays around the 25-30 even in the hot weather we have had,but yes the turbo is the main restriction

Hope this helps

I've got a darkside developments intercooler on mine and its huge,really does a good job though and will drop the intake temp by around 40 degrees,mine was backing off power when the intake got to 66 degrees,now stays around the 25-30 even in the hot weather we have had,but yes the turbo is the main restriction Hope this helps

Does lag and other issues not make it slower to boost? Also I read but I take with a pinch of salt a bigger intercooler could cost you power.

I don't think a cold air feed would make much difference. Getting more air in (so a larger filter or larger bore intake pipe) would be more beneficial as it'll be cooled by the I/C

I don't think thats possible. Have you seen the size of the filter. It is huge.

I've got a darkside developments intercooler on mine and its huge,really does a good job though and will drop the intake temp by around 40 degrees,mine was backing off power when the intake got to 66 degrees,now stays around the 25-30 even in the hot weather we have had,but yes the turbo is the main restriction Hope this helps

Which one did you get mate? E.g. size etc.

Thanks

don't know whether its possible on the lupo, but to combat problems with hot air,on other tdi's ive heard of leaving the existing piping to the air box, take the internal part of the airbox out including filter, extend the plastic tubing to inside the air box housing with a cone filter on the end of that, then drill air box base or wherever the cold feed is best.

seems a lot of flaff tho'