help please :( overheat

Need all the brains on here to help me out please :)

So my gti has overheated twice now :( , first time i noticed i had no water left in the coolant bottle so i topped it up, < this was about a week ago. But i drove it again 2 days ago and it did it again :( but the bottle was still full from when id topped it up. ( so no leaks) .

Also i took it out for a spin today and im not sure if its just me but i thought it was a bit slow :( , I've also checked my oil which is fine.

hit me :) pleaaasseeee

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Ok, here we go... (I'm assuming good head gasket, normal fuel mixture, ok brakes, ok cat and normal ign timing.

is there coolant in the system?

does the water pump run ok and circulate coolant?

does the thermostat open and keep the temp gauge at 90 without moving once warmed up and driving normally? Is the right thermostat fitted...

do the fan(s) work?

does the interior heating work?

does the coolant level stay constant (no leak or crack somewhere)?

does coolant circulate through the radiator (can you feel warm fluid leaving the rad through the hose, when engine is hot?)

Do the hoses get hard? Is overheating on the gauge or is it actually boiling the water (you can hear it) and chucking steam out the expansion tank?

It sounded like an airlock from the water pump change but that shouldnt still be the issue all this time later if it has had some use. Fans should kick in regardless, if they dont then sort that out first. The sensor might be in air and they dont kick in if still got air in it.