Steel wheel recommendations for winter tyres GTI

(Reposted in correct place)

Hi

I would like to put some winter tyres on this winter and need some recommendations for steel wheels I.e what model V.W to get them off preferebly second hand. Also what tyre size have people used?

Thanks in advance

Chris

I have 2 sets of original winter option steels that bought new from Volkswagen. They were only ~£35 each. I use one set for winter, the other for spring/autumn. I don't have my own tyre fitting equipment, so being able to swap wheels with the changing weather is the best option for me.

I have 2 sets of original winter option steels that bought new from Volkswagen. They were only ~£35 each. I use one set for winter, the other for spring/autumn. I don't have my own tyre fitting equipment, so being able to swap wheels with the changing weather is the best option for me.

Have you got a part no. for these?

6E0 801 027A

They are 5Jx14 ET40 and around 5.5kg IIRC. I am not sure if they would be suitable for the GTI, but my point was sometimes things are cheaper from VAG than you would think. I don't have ETKA on me now, so I don't know what winter options are available specific to the GTI.

Around the same time I bought the 3L winter steels I had to buy a new BBS wheel to replace a bent one, it cost more than the 2 sets of Lupo wheels.

If your standard ride height than I would go for a set of 14 inch steels from a mk3 golf (cheap and plentiful) and alsoyou have more choice in tyre options which does help if you are buying part worns.

I paid £100 for some steels and 4 gislaved winter tyres with 5-6mm of tread think they were 175 65 14s from memory and were decent and did the job nicely.

If money isn't a problem get new rims from dealers or egay and the best tyres based on reviews and price, I found continental winter contacts to be very good also.