Front tie rods.

My gti has just come back from a service, and on the advisory they have said that both front tie rods will need replacing and quoted me £87.37.

Now I have just had a quick scout around on the internet and the ones I have found don't usually exceed £30. The quoted price seems a little steep and I was wondering if I was missing something when searching for them or if the garage is ripping me off a little.

Any help would be much appreciated!

That's expensive.

For that I would expect both sides replacing with genuine parts, full four wheel alignment including camber and a coffee/sandwich/dessert from the cafe and possibly a courtesy car thrown in for a few hours thrash.

I'm assuming you're talking a VW stealership here, if not then I can't explain how they have quoted that much for such a simple job.

I wish it was £86 both fitted, but unfortunately that is just the price PER rod. So £174 just for both rods, £57 labor and then another £57 for wheel aligment. Now to me this sounds waaaay to expensive!

It's not for a "stealership" but a VAG specific garage which I thought would be good value for money due to the reviews I have heard!

I'd like to see what the likes of Kwik fit ect would charge, the tie rods are not like track rod ends and can be a pain to change. The price is what it is if you don't like it shop around lol.

Each doh, if your up to the job then go to GSF and do it yourself, but far too much for me. I'd rather pay a servant to do work like that.

But do you notice ANY difference? If not it's only an advisory on a service (which seems odd to me) just wait until it fails MOT, then you can save a little each day and you won't mind the expense come paying it

I wish it was £86 both fitted, but unfortunately that is just the price PER rod. So £174 just for both rods, £57 labor and then another £57 for wheel aligment. Now to me this sounds waaaay to expensive! It's not for a "stealership" but a VAG specific garage which I thought would be good value for money due to the reviews I have heard!

They would be having your pants down for that. you could buy the rods a Haynes manual and a Halfords tool kit for less than that, and still have enough left to fill the tank with v-power

Edited by Blaine

They would be having your pants down for that. you could buy the rods a Haynes manual and a Halfords tool kit for less than that, and still have enough left to fill the tank with v-power

& then some.

£25 each from gsf, you get the ball joint and rod. then gaiters are £8 each. easy job to carry out if you have abit of mechanical savvy. just done mine then took it to tyres galore who track lowered cars. £66 for parts and £25 for tracking a lowered car. simples :)

Piss easy job.

Turn car on and move steering wheel left and right really gently, slowly and only small amounts. If you can feel play then you need new track rod ends for definite. The play should feel like you are turning the steering wheel and nothing happens then you feel like a bite.

Track rod ends cost £15 each.

Take about 30 mins to replace one. If you are planning on doing it yourself then you might have some issues get the track rod end out the hub, your probably best to get heat on it from then with the bolt still on the track rod end but almost wound completely off, hit it with a hammer and it will come loose.

If you don't move the bolt behind the track rod end then you shouldn't really need your tracking done.

You are being ripped off and you will get ripped off at kwik fit too.