Shocking fuel consuption from 1.0

harrysteele9

The only way to measure the fuel consumption is to do it over a full tank

It the servicing all up to date etc, tyres at correct pressure, bodies removed from boot...

Agree. I'm never convinced when people say "oh well if you subtract this, and work out from this much.... blah blah ". No.... if you want to measure fuel consumption correctly, zero your tripometer at the pump, fill it up full, then run till near empty (perhaps until the fuel warning light comes on) then refill fully, and do the standard calculation. That will measure your fuel consumption over the course of x number of days, depending on your usual mileage.

As Defcon said, when was it last serviced? Are the tyres pumped correctly? Also, have you read up on economical driving? It doesn't just happen. If you've been used to just booting it, driving a certain way, you might find you need to adapt your driving style to get fuel MPG. I have an SDI and originally i would get about 60MPG, but since changing my driving style to an economical style, so to speak, I get around 66MPG now.

Edited by Skezza

and this is how i messured it i put 21£ in when the fuel light came on and when i got back the fuel light came back on so that must meen i only used the 21£ i put in yeah?

Edited by harrysteele9

it was sevised 2500 miles ago, i think its the fact the lupo is so slow u have to really give it some to get to 70 on motorway

OK, firstly, no you don't. You don't have to absolutely cain the **** off it, to get it to 70, at least not in my experience. That said, it's also rare that you need to enter the motorway at 70, so you could enter slower then speed up as you begin to overtake.

Also, 70 is pushing it a bit in a 1.0, it'll be screaming a bit so no doubt your fuel economy will be affected. If you want to do motorway driving, I suggest an SDI as they're perfect for motorway trips.

Edited by Skezza

OK, firstly, no you don't. You don't have to absolutely cain the **** off it, to get it to 70, at least not in my experience. That said, it's also rare that you need to enter the motorway at 70, so you could enter slower then speed up as you begin to overtake.

Also, 70 is pushing it a bit in a 1.0, it'll be screaming a bit so no doubt your fuel economy will be affected. If you want to do motorway driving, I suggest an SDI as they're perfect for motorway trips.

Ok, yeah i know where your coming from, i dont think the 1,0 is the right engine choice for me like, could do with 1.4 tdi but same old story i am 17 they pull my pants down on insurance

any way back to the original question wondering if this is correct 130miles on 21£ i think that is shocking, did 220 miles not so long ago that cost me 50£! , but all on motorways at 70

possible that its my driving!

Edited by harrysteele9

Are you the type of person that accelerates into and out of conrners?...just to be that little quicker?

Its only a little 1.0, to be certain fill it up full, drive it flat out like rich said or how you do anyway, then when its on the light fill it up and lend it to your nan for abit, and tell her to give you a ring when the lights on then see the differences?

Other than that I would just clean your fueling system with redex or 10k boost.