Engine management light again ......

LynseyLou

Ok so the 'so called mechanic' said the fault was the egr valve ..... and then breaks it trying to seperate it ......so end up buying a replacement ......

light goes off and hey presto after driving a few miles it's on again

Really beginning to lose patience with this car

Am i best using Vag.com as a friend has it, to check for more faults ?

You aren't having much luck with this car are you? I've never come across a Lupo Lemon, but yours might be the first.

Do you have an Android phone? If you do, you can pick one of these up off eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-Torque-Car-Mini-ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Interface-CAN-BUS-/181124903208?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a2be2b128

Then download the app Torque from the Play Store (free OR paid) I use mine all the time for fault code scanning and monitoring sensors and what not. This is a surprisingly effective way of doing this.

Alternatively, you could pick yourself up a cheap VCDS Lite cable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-USB-Cable-KKL-409-1-VW-AUDI-OBD2-OBD-OBDII-VAG-COM-409-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-/271221523048?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f26100268

Something like that which runs on PC, but I think the ELM327 is actually more user friendly, no need to haul your laptop around :)

If your friend is willing to scan for you, tell him to do a full test as some faults may not show up with an engine management light ;)

Edited by Skezza

It's running lovely though !!! i don't get it ........ having a nosey through last MOT and advisory was the light being on ...... so guy cleared it it before he sold it me ....

Find out friday when we do a full scan he scanned my boyfriends newbeetle and sorted a few faults on that so fingers crossed ...... noticed it failed on emissions then passed second time ..... got to be an exhaust fault .....

thanks for the advice may get a cable for the laptop as i have an iphone

Edited by LynseyLou

There may be an equivalent for iPhone. I have both but I prefer the ELM327 as it's perfect for carrying around. I keep mine in my bottom cubby tray. Used it on lots of my mates cars.

Interesting you mentioned the emissions, did you fill your tank before the light came on?

hi linseylou

now can i ask if the engine warning light you refer to is EPC. because if it is then you are barking up the wrong tree. lots of us have made this mstake in the past.EPC stands for electronic pedal control. it refers to the brake pedal. when the light is on it is warning that your break lights are not working. the brake pedal has a spring which is moved when the pedal is depressed the problem is usually because the spring has got stuck and just needs lubricating.you can check out this by getting someone to watch if your lights come on

hope this helps lindylou.

hi linseylou

now can i ask if the engine warning light you refer to is EPC. because if it is then you are barking up the wrong tree. lots of us have made this mstake in the past.EPC stands for electronic pedal control. it refers to the brake pedal. when the light is on it is warning that your break lights are not working. the brake pedal has a spring which is moved when the pedal is depressed the problem is usually because the spring has got stuck and just needs lubricating.you can check out this by getting someone to watch if your lights come on

hope this helps lindylou.

Lol... names very similar.

This is true, although the brake light switches do wear out as well as I found last year. Easy enough to replace though.

lol yes names similar and we both have yellow lupos ! i agree skezza someties not a quick fix to problems, diagnosing is the hardest part thats why this club forum is so brilliant!

well we just cleared the error and a friend who has owned VWs for years reckons the temp sensor ( i think that's what he said hang on I'll ask him ) could be at fault , ( according to the laptop ) someone has replaced it in the past he said it has a green one in it so it has been replaced but it's not genuine VW , he says the cheaper ebay ones tend to be rubbish as he has found out ..... He's cleared the error, as he said as it's been replaced they might not have cleared the codes so been told to drive it and see if the light comes on againthen re scan and see if it throws the same codes up

When we got home the EPC light has come on now ....... Just checked and yes the brake lights are not working !!!!!

Edited by LynseyLou

Right fixed the EPC took the above advice checked the fuse .... was ok .... then lubricated the switch and manualy moved it in and out and now brake lights work and EPC has gone out ....

Drove it for a few miles and guess what ?

yep the check engine light is back on again ( not the EPC ) ....... taking it back to our friend to see if it's the same code it threw up last time , he reckons its the temp sensor

doing our heads in this ... :(

Edited by LynseyLou

hi linseylou

have done coolant temp sensor on mine. the symptoms of it not working are not being able to start the car when hot. the sensor tells the ecu what temp the engine is at so it can mix fule air correctly to start car when hot so you should be able to tell if its that just by poor starting .

You could replace the temp sensor, not too hard to do. Not heard of them causing an engine management light though....