Lupo 3L Part I can Borrow? Gearbox ECU

100MPG GEE

Anyone know to a lupo 3L thats breaking? or sat still long enough to borrow the gearbox ecu?

My cars been at a garage for months now and I need to rule out the ecu as the problem so i can move forward.

I've paid for one from germany but it's never showed and now appears to be back up for sale on eBay. I've now got to go through ebay disputes to get my money back or part sent, which will take time and it may not even be the problem. So If I can find a part here it would be a lot easier.

I'm in the west midlands.

I can obviously pay, pick up, whatever

Cheers for any help

Graham

that would be another option, but i don't know to any other 3l's in the midlands. If you know to any please let me know, I did see a black 3L locally but I don't know who they are.

There was a warning noise, it wouldn't select gear then it cut out. The gear actuator was broken so that was replaced, linkage has been setup repeatedly, clutch voltage setup and hydraulic accumulator replaced.. but it still wont select gear.

It's the usual case of the garage it's at has never seen anything like it and don't know what to do next, another lupo would be ideal so at least they could compare gear function.

Graham

It's usually better practice to try a suspected faulty ECU in a car that is known to run ok, rather than risk a good ECU in a car that could be bad.

You can get a warning sound, and lack of drive simply from running low on hydraulic fluid.

What was broken on the gearbox actuator?

What fault codes do you get?

When the gearbox basic setting is done, which error do you get?

shift finger was snapped.

Whilst doing the basic setting error 12 comes up

It sounds like an actuator alignment problem to me. I have had to realign at least a couple of times before getting it right before.

Can you select all the gears manually on the selector rod?

Are the ball joints on the actuator in good condition?

It's interesting, as I also had a selector finger break at 200k, meaning the selector would shift into 4th, but not the othe way into 3rd. So I had to drive without 3rd gear for a while, until I had time to fix it.

I thought it was an odd fault for a car that always gets near perfect robot shifts.

The car was towed into a vw garage so they've done the work and testing to date, but it's been in there about 4 months so patience is wearing thin.

Did you not find out what caused the selector to break? I sent the actuator to Sherif Topal and had a reconditioned one, but it's not made any difference.

It's been in a VW garage for 4 months? That's probably your biggest issue. To be honest I think you need to get the car to someone who knows what they are doing, and some logical testing needs to be done, rather than just changing parts at random.

In my case it looked like it was just fatigue on a bad weld from the factory, where the selector fingers join the rod. I still have it somewhere

• 1 month later...

id you not find out what caused the selector to break? I sent the actuator to Sherif Topal and had a reconditioned one, but it's not made any difference.

I came across a photo of the broken selector fork, so I thought I would post it here, in case anyone was still interested.

BrokenSelectorFork.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Here in NL also a lot of problems with the gearboxes. Clutch lever and Selection fork 3th gear just break under the hydraulic pressure.

We (The Lupo 3L Club NL) do also business with Sherif Topal because of his refurbish-parts, but he is allways busy, so communication can be hard...

I drive to Munich every 3 months to get my parts. Not the cheapest; but the best option.

We have about 1.500 Lupo's 3L here in NL and as a Club we carry a lot of user-information.

You can mail me or visit: http://www.3-liter.nl/forum/

Greetings,

Pim.

that would be another option, but i don't know to any other 3l's in the midlands. If you know to any please let me know, I did see a black 3L locally but I don't know who they are.

There was a warning noise, it wouldn't select gear then it cut out. The gear actuator was broken so that was replaced, linkage has been setup repeatedly, clutch voltage setup and hydraulic accumulator replaced.. but it still wont select gear.

It's the usual case of the garage it's at has never seen anything like it and don't know what to do next, another lupo would be ideal so at least they could compare gear function.

Graham

From memory, the workshop instructions tell you to mark the solenoid plugs on the gear actuator before you remove it. This suggests that the connections are not polarised to prevent incorrect replacement. Assuming the leads are long enough, there are 24 ways of connecting the four connectors! Are you sure that you have the right one?

RAB

I find the easiest options for buying parts are either to phone up the local Volkswagen dealer, order and collect, or phone up a local TPS and get them delivered.

The only issue I have found is having to wait a couple of weeks sometimes, because parts are on back order. But this is the same for any old VAG car.

Luckily so far I have no experience with buying second hand 3L parts, as VAG have always had everything I have needed.

I have only needed the help of Sebastian Funk at Audi Tradition once, for sourcing a pair of new rear dampers.

I find the easiest options for buying parts are either to phone up the local Volkswagen dealer, order and collect, or phone up a local TPS and get them delivered.

The only issue I have found is having to wait a couple of weeks sometimes, because parts are on back order. But this is the same for any old VAG car.

Luckily so far I have no experience with buying second hand 3L parts, as VAG have always had everything I have needed.

I have only needed the help of Sebastian Funk at Audi Tradition once, for sourcing a pair of new rear dampers.