Mum drives my car for the 1st time, now it's broke...

T3LLIOTT

1st of all, after owning my Lupo for ~1month now, I would like to thank the people on here for the great advice that is given. I changed my cambelt a few weeks ago after topics on here suggesting to change them every 60,000 miles and I'm glad I did as the old one had a couple of small rips, so thanks for potentially saving my car! :thumbsup:

Anyway as the title suggests my mum drove the car around the block while I was at work and now it's broke. She says that the car was pouring smoke and smelt like clutch (which it does) so obviously pulled over - no bangs, no noise, just no drive. When I arrived the car reaked and after checking the car for any visual signs of damage under the bonnet etc. I started her up no problem, however it just wouldn't move - i.e. you could put it in gear but there's no drive.

All evidence would point to the clutch but is there anything else that could have gone wrong or promted this to happen or am I just unlucky?! (I drove it yesterday and it was fine).

Aye sounds like your clutch has gone bang, usually there's some warning in terms in a bad clutch it's quite rare they just give up one day without showing signs. If your smelling clutch then it probably is, best to get the box off and have a luck and if it is the clutch pray theres not much damage

Ahh bummer! That's something I could have done without. In terms of signs shown, putting the car into reverse sometimes prompted a grating sound - do you think this could be the peddle box?! Also labour isn't a big problem for me, but how much would the parts be as a rough estimate?